Window Crank?

Had a little window issue.....I have the manual roll up windows, my window wouldnt roll ALL the way down, it stopped about an inch shy. So today i was looking at it and decided to add a little more pressure than "normal" and see if it would go down a little more. :doh: something kinda popped in the actual cranking mechanism (not the handle). it will still turn but it will not catch on anything in order to move the window and now the window is stuck all the way down. :wall:

The assembly is held in with rivits, so i would have to drill them out i guess to get anywhere with this new little problem. Anybody else had this issue? if so were you able to fix it, or should i be in search of a whole new window mechanism?

The end portion of the window riser cable (the "snake") is stripped. You need a replacement mechanism

i was afraid that was what i was going to hear. I have found one for a cherokee (same year model) that i could have shipped to my house for about $33. does this sound like a good deal for a used part, or should i try the JY?

Off topic I know, but we need some details about that truck in your sig...... how it was built, how you got it so low.... stuff like that. I'm very curious. Do you have a build thread? Not that I would build a lowrider MJ, but I would still like to know. My last project was a slammed 68 VW Beetle, and before that was a slammed 59 VW Microbus Panel van, so Ive done the lowrider thing and still love to get build details... let us know! :thumbsup:

The part you'll be looking for is the "Window Regulator"

Yes, many of them are stripped, and act just like what happen to your.

If you can get a hold of the glass, not using metal pliers, something plastic, and pull it up enough, to get the snake back into the handle crank, you'll be able to roll it back up until you get the parts you need.

The good news is...........your not the only one :D I've replaced a few, there not hard to do. Drilling out the rivets is no big deal, and you can replace the rivets with 1/4" stove bolts or like I've done, installed new 1/4" rivets.

And Yes, Cherokee 4 doors, the front (not rear) are the same as the MJ's from '86-'96+, and I forget what year they did away with the rivets, and went to screws to hold it in the door panel, I'm thinking '92+ :hmm: But note - they are handed, left (drivers) and right (passengers)

Here is a DIY on the power window, but you can easily adapt it to just the manual window regulator's.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12404&hilit=window+regulator

A little info on removing the glass *you'll need a spanner wrench*

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7245&hilit=door+glass

And the super duper article about replacing the window regulator -

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Bod ... or_Fix.htm

I don't know of any source on "new" regulators, except from Team Cherokee, but you need really, really deep pockets if you go that route :eek:

http://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/cgi-bi ... r&catid=95

If you can get a Good used one shipped to your door for what you wrote, go for it, I charge more that that for them :roll:

Thanks for the info!

I tried to lift the window, took off door panel and grabbed the bottom of the window and picked up on it...she didnt move. going to give it another shot today and see if it will come up (i was a little aggrovated last night :headpop: )

I think I'm going to go with the cherokee fix for now and just hope that it well last a while. Its an ebay part, but from a seller that i have had a good experience with (good radiator for $.01, plus shipping 18.51 total!! :D ). i want to say that his name is alljeepparts. he has done right by me so maybe he will send some business his way...

Off topic I know, but we need some details about that truck in your sig...... how it was built, how you got it so low.... stuff like that. I'm very curious. Do you have a build thread? Not that I would build a lowrider MJ, but I would still like to know. My last project was a slammed 68 VW Beetle, and before that was a slammed 59 VW Microbus Panel van, so Ive done the lowrider thing and still love to get build details... let us know! :thumbsup:

Well, this was the easiest thing i have done to the jeep so far.......its a photoshop. I KNOW, I KNOW, I KNOW it would be soooooooo much cooler if it were real....but i wouldnt do that to my MJ, it was just faster than PSing a trail rig...I'm a bit lazy sometimes.

I bet the Microbus was pretty sweet!!

My passenger side window does the same thing on my 88 MJ once the window is rolled down all the way. First time it happened, I pulled the door panel off and lifted the window up a bit and it rolled up fine. Second time I tried something different. With the window down all the way I pushed hard with my palm dead center on the crank handle (not on the end but dead center on the center of the crank). You could feel it struggling to catch but it did! I only had to turn the handle with my palm a small amount (1/2 to 3/4 of a turn) before it actually caught and rolled up. Try this first before pulling the door panel. :banana:

As others noted you can use 4dr XJ parts... btw I'd go with a junkyard one instead of going to ebay since that's a probably junkyard one too. You can get them for like 10-20 bucks at most yards and you even get to practice the removal on someone else's vehicle first in the process!

Also, instead of drilling out rivets (drill: n. A rotational-blade tool used for spinning pop rivets in their holes till you die of old age) I like to use a dremel or angle grinder with a cutting disc in it, apply sideways like you are trying to bisect the rivet shaft and wiggle it back and forth till you grind through the head all the way around where it joins the shank and it should pop off with no cursing, no struggling, no spinning, and no bending/overdrilling of the sheetmetal at all.

• 1 month later...

On my new to me 88' MJ I have the sticky window situation too. The manual windows roll up and down but it takes alot of muscle and sometimes I need to assist the glass up/down with my other hand. Before I end up breaking something, is there any parts I can lube inside the door like the regulator or snake?? What kind if lube? I really don't want to replace something if it can be fixed with a little maintenance!

On my new to me 88' MJ I have the sticky window situation too. The manual windows roll up and down but it takes alot of muscle and sometimes I need to assist the glass up/down with my other hand. Before I end up breaking something, is there any parts I can lube inside the door like the regulator or snake?? What kind if lube? I really don't want to replace something if it can be fixed with a little maintenance!

If it was me, I would lube the cable with White lithium spray grease, and the window tracks with either a dry graphite spray lube, or a silicone spray lube. that should help you out, but with the age and all of the involved parts, you may still end up needing to replace some parts. Good luck.