MJ's first load topless !

AMC-MJ

Loaded topless:

191K miles later that little AMC-150 I-4 can still tug some weight around just fine jamminz.gif

Little riding mower with some random stuff stuffed around it, That little truck never noticed it was there got right up to speed held the speed and slowed it down just fine jamminz.gif

I'm sure it'll my ATV on a small trailer to end's of the world with out any issues, but just in case i just happen to have bought myself an AMC-290 V8 just in case :thumbsup: Now all i need is the T-5 5spd and an MJ AMC-20 from the 1986 metric tonner :cheers: Oh and a set of 4.11 gears :D

Mike

Its doing just fine under load, I kept hearing people dogging on the 2.5er . . .

Best I can tell that AMC-2.5L tows loads by far better then any 2.5 GM 2.3 Ford i have owned in the past and those 2 truck trucks had by far less miles on them . . . Only one that may have given this 2.5L run was my 84' Nissan 2.4L but that truck had an automatic trans so that may have handed the win to the MJ . . .

My MJ now:

AMC-150 I4, AX-4 4spd, D35 with 3.73's, and 235's jamminz.gif

My MJ's Repowering:

AMC-290 V8, T-5 5spd, AMC-20 with 4.11's, and 235's :bowdown:

I'm sure towing in the future will not be of any concern :yes:

Payloads i found for MJ's:

86'-92' MJ in bed payload 1,475-LB's on all model's except "metric tonner", Max towed load 2.5L 2,000LB's 2.8L 4,200LB's, and 4.0L 5,000LB's.

The metric ton's payload was increased to 2,209LB's in bed, same 2,000/4,200/5,000 LB towed load rating's . . .

So rounded off structurally every MJ was a 1,500LB/5,000LB truck limited by engines ? and rear axles ? as best i could tell.

D44/AMC-20 with 2.8L/4.0L was for the heavy pay loaded truck's and the light duty truck's got the D35/2.5L combo . . .

I'm sure my new drive train will be just fine . . .

Mike

Those little 2.4 Nissan motors are tough little suckers. I had one in my '80 datsun, and it never stopped or slowed down. But mine was a 5 speed jamminz.gif

But new rule: no threads may contain the word topless unless the thread contains booooooobs

The MJ is tow rated like any other Jeep. Not limited by the drivetrain, but by its light weight and wheelbase.

I was only retyping what the jeep listed for load capacity spec's for the MJ's, it stayed the different ratings had different engines transmission's and rear end's . . . you wanna argue go to the Jeep forum sight and look at the psecs your self and argue with them not me . . .

this is about 1/2 of the load of scrap steel i took in last time i went scrapping... had the bed full just over the rail with heavy stuff just like that

Nice load so these can tow a fairly decent amount, most i ever hauled was 1,200lb's back when it had the topper on it.

I have had the please of doing any towing yet as my rear bumper is rotten and junk, But so far i am very impressed with what this little Heap of a jeep will do . . .

You have a very nice looking MJ there shoot some paint on the bed floor put the cool mat over it i love mine jamminz.gif

Mike

Here's a couple pictures of mine hauling some wire to the junk yard. It is the 4.0, but it has the auto and 3.55 gears :fs1:

The trailer it self weighs 2400 lbs, and that particular load there is 1760 lbs of wire, so total i was pulling 4160 lbs.

I could tell there was some thing back there, but overall I was very impressed on how my MJ did, accelerating and stopping.

And I 2nd on if there is going to be the word "topless" in the topic..... :brows:

this is about 1/2 of the load of scrap steel i took in last time i went scrapping... had the bed full just over the rail with heavy stuff just like that

Nice load so these can tow a fairly decent amount, most i ever hauled was 1,200lb's back when it had the topper on it.

I have had the please of doing any towing yet as my rear bumper is rotten and junk, But so far i am very impressed with what this little Heap of a jeep will do . . .

You have a very nice looking MJ there shoot some paint on the bed floor put the cool mat over it i love mine jamminz.gif

Mike

thanks on the compliment! i repainted everything but the bed floor when i bought it... i didnt do the bed cause it just gets scratched up every time i haul scrap with it... i've never towed anything with it (got a chevy 1/2 ton for that), but it will hold quite a lot of weight.. those 18 wheeler brake drums near the front weight about 150-160 pounds each, and i had a few more i threw in after that pic