found this DIY on CAD to make posi

• 2 months later...

I ran this setup while I had a front CAD, works well, easy to make work, and fairly cheap too. If you want to run a non selectable front locker and still be able to drive it in the winter, you need a selectable CAD.

It was open at the time, I was planning on putting an Aussie in the front and rear, and just turning off the CAD when on the street in snowy weather. A few months after installing it the carrier bearings in my diff gave out and I upgraded to 99 XJ axles with 4.10's. My setup was based on that Jeepforum writeup, with a few minor changes to guarantee that the fork returned to unlocked when I released the cable. I ran the cable through the fork, and then back through the other side with a cable clamp on both sides so that the cable would both pull and push the fork. I also put a spring on the cable against the housing and the fork to push the fork back.

turning off the CAD with a locker inside the front diff may have some very bad consequences to the locker. Even if it worked as you plan, the torque steer is immense. I do not recommend it. :(

turning off the CAD with a locker inside the front diff may have some very bad consequences to the locker. Even if it worked as you plan, the torque steer is immense. I do not recommend it. :(

I don't see how the locker would have any problems, it is still engaged to an axle shaft on both sides, one side just doesn't have a load. I know that there would be some torque steer though. I know guys with detroit's front and rear that just unlock the hub on one side when in the snow. wouldn't it basically be the same thing to unlock the CAD?

don't know how they get by. :dunno: I have a minispool up front (in my ford 44) and have run 3wheel (and one-wheel) before but never more than short distances. giving it gas turns the steering wheel one way, letting off the gas turns it the other. I'm not talking about a gentle lean, I mean it turns the wheel. there's no way I'd do that on a street with traffic.

but I guess results may vary.

I think with a lunchbox locker it would cause wear on the drivers side. therre would never be any ratcheting on the passenger side with a cable setup disengaged. I have run loc-rights in the front of all my rigs, and have had zero issues with them.. I also swap in a one piece shaft on the passenger side