Have to fog my truck

TWO POINTS:

Northern winters don't kill spiders

very true. It doesn't simply kill everything. but there are a ton of species of spiders (and bugs and plants) that can't cope with long periods of cold. :D

It just seems highly unlikely, that's all.

Not totally........Some of us are allergic to insect bites, so any type of bite affects the allergenic person more so that people that are not allergic.

I'm bad with any type of insect bite, more so with bee stings, hives, swelling.......Benadryl and sleep for 3 days :eek: I have scares on my legs from flea bite 5 years ago went the stupid woman down stair moved out with her cats, and left the fleas behind. We ended up bombing the house twice to get rid of them :fs1:

My oldest brother is so bad with bee stings, he carries a epinephrine kit with him.

So hearing that some one died from a spider bit is not unheard of.

Not saying that it's unheard of - but it's not exactly the most likely case that a nest of brown recluses was up above his headliner then got mad and somehow fell on his head biting him multiple times. Brown Recluses don't exactly operate that way; it's not exactly convenient for them to actually get up there anyways (since they can't walk on glass).

Only a small majority of people are actually allergic to the venom; those are the people who come down with skin necrosis.

Not saying that it's unheard of - but it's not exactly the most likely case that a nest of brown recluses was up above his headliner then got mad and somehow fell on his head biting him multiple times. Brown Recluses don't exactly operate that way; it's not exactly convenient for them to actually get up there anyways (since they can't walk on glass).

Only a small majority of people are actually allergic to the venom; those are the people who come down with skin necrosis.

It's not been proven that only being allergic can cause serious necrosis. Recluse bites are so rare, there really is very little data overall that can draw such a conclusion, and there are no clinical tests(YOU wanna signup for such a test?). However, the poisons Brown Recluses have are certainly necrotic in nature, and can cause serious wounds via enzymatic reactions. Recluses can easily manage to get into a headliner, and are LIKELY to be found there, if anywhere, in a vehicle since they are known to inhabit cardboard commonly. However, Wyoming is NOT a common part of the Recluses territory . This, coupled with the fact you rarely find one recluse, let alone a nest of them, seems to point to the story being incredibly unlikely. Can it happen? Well, a meteor supposedly killed the dinosaurs right? Is it likely to happen? Nah.

As for Roaches and Spiders, you may want to start with some sort of a natural synthetic approach - like Permethrin. It's toxicity is very low to humans and Dogs(but high to cats), and in large doses is highly effective on roaches and spiders. It also has a pleasant odor(coming from Chrysanthemum flowers and extracts). A large bottle of it at about 10% mixture is maybe 20 bucks from the feed store. Mix it as per the directions in a large 1-2 gallon sprayer and hit the vehicle with it after you cover the windows, hit the undercarriage, and all areas around it and in yer yard.

As an aside, if you do not wash produce that is not organic, you are basically guaranteed to have been ingesting Permethrin. It's that safe for us. Still, I would wash any and all produce you bring from a non organic market. They still use Malathion, afterall. l) Hell, I used it not too long ago on a Mosquito problem. That stuff smells like low sulfur diesel, only an evil version of it ;) By comparison, the Permethrin is fragrant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permethrin

If you have a super serious roach problem, you may want to go with an IGR and something like Cyonara or Cynoff with Lambda-Cyhalothrin, which is designed with roaches in mind. Not cheap, but I thoroughly stopped a serious palmetto bug problem in San Antonio with one 2 lb application on half an acre, including two houses. You shoulda seen the bodies. Both Permethrin and Cyonara are stable when mixed together in water, so I hit them with the combo at a double mixture ratio and targetted their hiding places. How you spray is just as important as where you spray. Along cracks, in holes, base of trees, along baseboards, corners, sills, soffets, edges, etc. Preferably out of direct sunlight, so the toxins keep killing for weeks as the bugs rub up against it. I do not waste hundreds of dollars on a pest control company, ever. Get a mask, a 2gallon sprayer, and buy the products and use them by the directions.

c0235.jpg

WYK

It's not been proven that only being allergic can cause serious necrosis. Recluse bites are so rare, there really is very little data overall that can draw such a conclusion, and there are no clinical tests(YOU wanna signup for such a test?). However, the poisons Brown Recluses have are certainly necrotic in nature, and can cause serious wounds via enzymatic reactions. Recluses can easily manage to get into a headliner, and are LIKELY to be found there, if anywhere, in a vehicle since they are known to inhabit cardboard commonly. However, Wyoming is NOT a common part of the Recluses territory . This, coupled with the fact you rarely find one recluse, let alone a nest of them, seems to point to the story being incredibly unlikely. Can it happen? Well, a meteor supposedly killed the dinosaurs right? Is it likely to happen? Nah.

It's quite hard to insist that recluse bites are rare if there have been no studies done on the effects of the venom on the human body, i.e. apparently nobody knows if serious necrotic conditions occur because of allergic reactions.

I contend that it is NOT easy for a recluse to find it's way up inside the headliner. Recluses cannot walk on glass, leaving only the pillar plastic to climb up on. Even that may prove troublesome to scale. Also, there is not an easy way to get between the roof and the headliner. Recluses are drawn to cool, dark and sometimes damp areas - 3 things a headliner are not.

In fact, female recluses actually do "weave" nests and basically stay in that location (the male roams at night). I also say that if you find one recluse, it might be a fluke or an outlier. If you find two recluses, put down some glue boards because I would be willing to bet that you would find many more that you didn't think you had.

Caveat: recluses are almost never ever found outside of their range of territory.