wiper delay switch

Either your rig did not come with the option (if it WAS an option) or your intermittent control is 1.) toast or 2.) missing.

It is possible to remove the intermittent control and just plug the two sides of the harness in to each other. If you want to see if that's the case, reach down under the dash, right at the steering column between your knees and look for the little black box. It's velco'd there with a harness plug on each side.

If it's there, the control is probably toasted. I got mine used at the JY ($2), I also see them occasionaly on ebay for ~$10-15.

Edit: if the 2 plugs are plugged in to each other, you can buy a intermittent control box and *poof* you got intermittent wipers.

You should be able to just sit in the driver's seat and put both hands behind/under the dash...right under the coulmn. About 3"x3". Like so:

Also, just try to see if the connector is there. You may be able to pop a control in there.

Edit: if the 2 plugs are plugged in to each other, you can buy a intermittent control box and *poof* you got intermittent wipers.

Not quite true. If you didn't have intermittent wipers from the factory, you'll also need to change the multifunction switch that the stalk plugs into. It has an extra wire for wiper delay function to the module. And of course you'll need the delay stalk too.

Not quite true. If you didn't have intermittent wipers from the factory, you'll also need to change the multifunction switch that the stalk plugs into. It has an extra wire for wiper delay function to the module. And of course you'll need the delay stalk too.

So noted, I didn't think of that. But shouldn't the harness itself have the connection to the MFS (if, in fact, it's there)? I didn't really know...but I know the two ends of the harness can be plugged into each other and work as regular wipers.

Seems Jeep would have made it available on all models, especially since mine is a pretty base model. It's got wiring for things it doesn't have.

So noted, I didn't think of that. But shouldn't the harness itself have the connection to the MFS (if, in fact, it's there)? I didn't really know...but I know the two ends of the harness can be plugged into each other and work as regular wipers.

Seems Jeep would have made it available on all models, especially since mine is a pretty base model. It's got wiring for things it doesn't have.

This is true, but not for the intermittent wipers. The MFS w. delay assembly is a different animal; has one more wire than the MFS w/o delay. If I recall, it's 8 wires vs. 7. The main dash harness itself at the bottom of the column it plugs into indeed does have the extra wire; but the MFS and it's harness does not. Mine was a base model too w/o delay, and when I installed the intermittent wiper function, I had to also change out the switch. And it was a major PITA and requires going down deep into the column. And to make matters worse, the MFS assembly for the tilt and non-tilt columns are different also. :nuts:

my 89 mj has a turn signal stalk with a wiper delay but it doesnt work just low and high speed wipers............................

His very first post said he has the delay on the MFS. If that's true, it might have been bypassed by someone already.

my 89 mj has a turn signal stalk with a wiper delay but it doesnt work just low and high speed wipers............................

His very first post said he has the delay on the MFS. If that's true, it might have been bypassed by someone already.

No, I think all that means is he has a wiper stalk w. delay plugged into the MFS.

hmm so the harness has a extra wire if its ready? ill have to pull the harness and see .should be 8 if is just plug and play the the box then right?

oh anouther thing is the stalk has cruise controll but the truck don't. does that sound right?

No, I think all that means is he has a wiper stalk w. delay plugged into the MFS.

One thought for you........

If you push the stalk in, and turn it clockwise, it will pop right out of the MFS.

So........anyone could have installed a delay wiper/cruse stalk in your truck, and then you would think.........'Gee......I got all these goodies'

:teehee: :teehee:

So think about it, if you don't have the sterno motor under the hood for the curse, you don't have it.......if you don't have the DW control box under the dash.....you don't have it, and the seller of your truck pulled a fast one on you........maybe :dunno:

Just because something is there, and it looks like the real thing........It might not be :hmm:

So, pop the stalk out, and if the wire for the curse is not hooked up, AssUme that the delay wiper extra wire is also not there :eek:

Well I know I need the little blck box for the wipers. I can hear it struggling with the with the wipers. But I'm having trouble findding one online, not sure exactaly what to type in. Please shoot me one if found online, Thanks :help:

They are usually several on Ebay. Search for "Cherokee delay wiper module" or "Jeep intermittent wiper module", etc etc.

hmm so the harness has a extra wire if its ready? ill have to pull the harness and see .should be 8 if is just plug and play the the box then right?

oh anouther thing is the stalk has cruise controll but the truck don't. does that sound right?

One thought for you........

If you push the stalk in, and turn it clockwise, it will pop right out of the MFS.

So........anyone could have installed a delay wiper/cruse stalk in your truck, and then you would think.........'Gee......I got all these goodies'

:teehee: :teehee:

So think about it, if you don't have the sterno motor under the hood for the curse, you don't have it.......if you don't have the DW control box under the dash.....you don't have it, and the seller of your truck pulled a fast one on you........maybe :dunno:

Just because something is there, and it looks like the real thing........It might not be :hmm:

So, pop the stalk out, and if the wire for the curse is not hooked up, AssUme that the delay wiper extra wire is also not there :eek:

ill check this out and see.. thanks jamminz.gif