4x4 conversion

Hi everyone, Just picked up a 92 2wd 4.0 ax15 mj. Going to convert it to 4wd my ? is will the axles swap from my 86 2.5 4 spd and if so due i have to change yokes or uca lca or is it a strait forward bolt in . Also can i get the axles in and drive the truck without changing trans and transfer case at this time (in other words no front drive shaft hooked up) until i find the trans and transfer case. As soon as i get started i will list a bunch of stuff for sale in classifieds so if you need something keep a look out

The axles will bolt right in, but be sure to keep all the original brake stuff from whatever axle you swap in. I think your gearing will be 3:55, not sure if thats any better than what you have now or not. The front axle will be vacuum disconnect too, so you may want to just lock it over in place and then not worry about it anymore. The yokes should be the same, but if not you shouldnt have any problem swapping them over from the original axle.

Thanks dasbulliwagen i believe my 86 has 410s. When looking for ax15 and transfercase what year cherokee should i be looking for for the easiest swap.I think i read that i want to look for them from a 91 92 comanche because of the pilot bearing but need to know years for cherokee

Thanks dasbulliwagen i believe my 86 has 410s. When looking for ax15 and transfercase what year cherokee should i be looking for for the easiest swap.I think i read that i want to look for them from a 91 92 comanche because of the pilot bearing but need to know years for cherokee

No, an '86 2.5L 5-speed would have had 4.10s. A 4-speed almost certainly had 3.55s.

As noted, the '86 axles will bolt right in, but the front hubs, rotors, knuckles and calipers are ALL different between '86 and '92, so you will need to remember that anything you buy for the front axle will have to be bought for an '86.

In the rear, the '86 is probably a non c-clip Dana 35 and the 92 is probably a c-clip Dana 35. The '86 will have 1-3/4 x 10" brakes, and the '92 should have 2" x 9" brakes. Again, not a problem (I think the old brakes work bettter and are easier to work on), but you can't mix and match parts between the years/axles.

Thanks eagle have not taken off the cover to confirm but i have window sticker from the 86 and under optional equip it says axle ratio 410/1. Here' s hoping

Back then they offered optional ratios, so it's possible. But it would not have been standard -- you didn't mention that you had the window sticker.