Drivers door mirror.

MY MJ has some cheesy looking mirror mounted right in the middle of the window on the drivers side and a blank plate where the mirror should go like on a XJ. I'm 6'3" so its absoloutely useless to me as I have to crouch down to see into it. The passenger side has the same corner mounted spring loaded folding mirror as my 93 XJ.

Will XJ mirrors bolt up if I remove this blank cover? The mirror that is on the drivers side is now is loose and wobbling and the paint around it is gone and the door is rusting. I have owned cars with only a drivers mirror and nothing on the pass side but I thought it was a law to have one on the drivers side?

The doors are original so it appears someone removed the factory mirror and put this POS in the middle of the door. The MJ was a municipal town vehicle with a 2 way radio and roof strobe so I'm thinking someone didnt like the stock mirror and replaced it. :wall:

Yes an XJ mirror will fit your door. NO on removal. The little "flag" mirror was the stock mirror on the base model MJs. More likely the municipal garage found a junkyard XJ and added the passenger side mirror. My 1988 SporTruck came with the "flag" mirror on the left side and nothing on the right side.

Mine has the big doofy chrome flag mirrors too. I thought they were an aftermarket deal.

Anyway, they are HIDEOUS, but I'm stuck with them, cuz even if I do put some 97 xj mirrors on, I'll have 3 big bolt holes in my door. Heeeelllooo rust.

*sigh* guess I'll just hold out till I can replace my doors with 97+ ones someday

In the meantime, the passenger one still isn't pointed right. I've owned this thing since jan. And still can't get it where I want it :fs1:

Mine has the big doofy chrome flag mirrors too. I thought they were an aftermarket deal.

The "flag" mirrors were black, not chrome, and they weren't large. Are you perhaps confusing the "flag" mirrors with the "west coast" style towing mirrors?

Yes an XJ mirror will fit your door. NO on removal. The little "flag" mirror was the stock mirror on the base model MJs. More likely the municipal garage found a junkyard XJ and added the passenger side mirror. My 1988 SporTruck came with the "flag" mirror on the left side and nothing on the right side.

haha my 88 sportruck came with the delux model mirror... it was in the glove box

hahahaa