Clear Cutting

88pioneer

Took the MJ up through the state forest yesterday, and found that some of my trails were getting blocked by downed trees. Then i rounded a bend and found this

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I know they do select cutting every year, and clear the dead fall, but i haven't seen anything close to this clear cutting they're doing. :( I'm not sure if they're doing this for safety purposes, because we just got done fighting a 100 plus acre wild fire not too far from where i took these pictures, but hopefully this doesn't continue for too long, because i like all my local trails to open. :banana:

Around here they clear cut for habitat improvement. The deer/rabbits browse on the tree tops. Within a year there will be lots of shoots for the wildlife to browse on. It also makes it almost impossible to hunt, which I guess is also habitat improvement. I just got done having some selective cutting done which makes it good for the hunter...

Mac...

Well in NJ yes this is a forest. We don't get lots of soft wood trees. Most are hardwood, and believe me you could barely walk through most of it last year. These pictures were taken on the same day, its not there as a comparison. And as for driving over it, i would but i try an keep the rangers happy :brows: . They don't mind if you stay on the trails, but they don't like it when you tear the land up a lot, for obvious reasons :idea: