"Bomb Proof" motor mounts for a WJ?

terrawombat

Has anyone ever seen the "bomb proof" motor mounts that M.O.R.E or Brown Dog sells for a WJ Grand Cherokee?

http://www.mountainoffroad.com/_e/dept/05/Motor_Mounts_Bomb_Proof_.htm

http://browndogindustries.com/S2883-lsuperbracketleft.aspx

I have an interesting situation on my hands. I have an '00 TJ 4.0L engine that ran good, but two of the three motor mount embosses broke off on the drivers side due to a HARD hit. I was looking at these "bomb proof" brackets and they use four more mounting points, which may render this engine useful again. Got a lead on a '99 WJ with a blown 4.0L motor for real cheap that I may be able to swap this engine into if I can find motor mount brackets for a WJ.

Any advice? I know this is an unusual request...

I feel confident that I could make these and I'd really only need to do it for one side (the side with the two broken mounting points). I'm just wondering how close the TJ (or XJ or YJ) brackets are to the WJ that I could just get one of those and modify it some.

Here is a picture of what I'm working with. The yellow circles are two mounting bosses that are completely screwed. The red circle is a mounting boss that is messed up, but still looks very usable as there is plenty of threads left on it.

My issue at this point is that I have no clue where the '99+ WJ engine mount brackets even mount to. I've found very little information on this subject matter.

Would slipping some threaded rod into the junk ones, and welding them to the block, and using nuts on the other side of the mount viable?

Or am I way out of my league?

No, not at all. Or at least I don't think so. I'll definitely look into that - thanks for the idea! I know that I certainly wouldn't trust my small buzzbox welder to handle it, but there is a good welder down the street from my office that could do it. It'd be getting the block plenty hot, though...I need to think about what that may do to it or anything behind the bosses...

Well, I inquired with Brown Dog about some of their SuperMounts for a WJ. They told me that the WJ is bass ackwards in the sense that the rubber engine mount is ON the engine and the bracket bolts to the frame. I really have no idea since I don't have a 4.0L WJ in my possession or know anyone that does. I might have to cruise down a local dealership and check it out for myself. Does anyone on here have a WJ with a 4.0L they could snap a picture of for me? :wavey:

My friend went out and took pics for his Motor Mounts on his 99 WJ with a 4.0L for ya.

:cheers:

AWESOME!!! Thank you and thank your friend for me!

I think all three of those shots are of the passenger side mount.

Nope he stated and quote:

Bill, here are motor mount pics... one driver side, two passenger (easier to shoot)

My friend went out and took pics for his Motor Mounts on his 99 WJ with a 4.0L for ya.

:cheers:

AWESOME!!! Thank you and thank your friend for me!

I think all three of those shots are of the passenger side mount.

Nope he stated and quote:

Bill, here are motor mount pics... one driver side, two passenger (easier to shoot)

If that's the driver and passenger side, then he's got two alternators on his truck ;)

Just poking fun - I'm still very grateful you had your buddy go out and take pictures for me! :cheers:

If that's the driver and passenger side, then he's got two alternators on his truck ;)

Just poking fun - I'm still very grateful you had your buddy go out and take pictures for me! :cheers:

Who knows what that crazy old man took pictures of than. :eek:

After all he did snap 3 front axles on the same day. :clapping:

• 7 years later...

If its any help, the bolt location are the same as an XJ/MJ. The one of the ones on the driver's side is 0.900 or so longer, than on an XJ. The passenger side one of them is 0.900 shorter than an XJ. So, you could cut down the one on the driver's side and drill and tap. I made a spacer for the passenger side. I might look at what or if Brown Dog could make something semi custom. It is a fabbed plate part.