what is a good running 4.0 worth?

I finally decided to go forward with the LS swap in my MJ, the stock motor is a 1987 4.0 with 117,xxx miles runs very good(rear main seal barely leaks). It is mated to a BA-10 which is broke(stuck in 1st gear, still moves with no unusual noises just can`t shift out of first gear).

I also have an AX-15/231 from a 96 XJ, new flywheel, new clutch, new mopar clutch slave&master cyl. (new parts are still in the box). I think $900 would be a fair price for the AX-15/231 & new parts.

what do you think a fair price would be for the engine?

Thanks

Prices vary around the country. Here I sell a low mileage 4.0 for $500. High mileage $400. Thats both motors runs good, no leaks, no noises. A AX15 I get $100. TRansfer cases( Don't them things ever break?) $75. I got over a dozen of them. The only time I've seen a 231j break was on a '73 grand Waggy. I estimate it was revin around 5grand when I slammed it into L from N. Long story, Don't ask.

I know you have money invested in the ax15 parts...but you're probably not going to get that much for a complete package.

you'd be better off selling parts seperate, or asking less...I bought a complet one for $200 with clutch, master, slave, throwout, and flywheel. granted, those parts were used...but it was cheap and even then, I didn't have any concerns about the master or slave failing since it was external and replaceable should it fail.

I'll agree that the engine you have is worth about $200 - $300, around this area.

Down south I've heard there worth a little more, for low mileage engines.

Of course........with all the C4C vehicles, I expect the price to start climbing up :roll:

I remember 3-4 years ago, a 2.5 was going for $600+, now you can find them for $200 around here.

Call your local junk yard, and see what there pricing out 4.0's for and base your asking price on that, of course, you'll have to be lower that a JY on price, unless you want to give it a warranty on the sale.

An '87 4.0L with that mileage would draw a max of $400 in my area. I've seen an AX-15 sitting on craigslist for about two months now...guy wants $200 for it, but it's an internal slave so anyone who knows what they're looking for probably doesn't want to bother with it.

I don`t know where you guys are buying stuff that cheap. I just checked car-part.com an AX-15 goes for $450-$950 & $400-$850 for a 231 x-case. You all were close on the motor though, $300-$600 for a 87 4.0.

I probably have over $500 in new clutch parts(I would have to check the invoice).

You need to keep in mind that a Junk yard is in business to make $$$$ even thought they were paying $50 for C4C vehicles :roll:

So, the prices you'll get from there, is what "they" want to charge, and in most cases, offer a 30 day warranty.

If you go by the prices we're all tossing out, that's private sales, person to person (Jeeper to Jeeper), with out the big markup, and as-is sales.

Just like I can go to the pick-n-pull and get a transfer case for $60, any make and type, but my JY charges $150 for one pulled. I just need to spent an hour laying on the stones, pulling one out at the P-n-P :roll:

i buy junk jeeps for those prices that are totalled but run and drive.

then I sell the motors and stuff that I don't need at prices that undercut what you guys are posting by FAR.

end result....I think people who would pay $450 for an ax15 are nuts...but they can come right on over and buy mine.