Brake problems

I just got a 89 2WD with a 2.5. The P.O. said that one of the brake lines had a hole in it. He did not know witch one. So I started at the front and replaced the lines back to the T on the rear end. The brake pedal still goes all the way to the floor and will not pump up. Brake light is on. MC will be empty on the rear side. What would be the next step? Also why would one brake line go back by the rearend and than goes back to the front?

I just got a 89 2WD with a 2.5. The P.O. said that one of the brake lines had a hole in it. He did not know witch one. So I started at the front and replaced the lines back to the T on the rear end. The brake pedal still goes all the way to the floor and will not pump up. Brake light is on. MC will be empty on the rear side. What would be the next step? Also why would one brake line go back by the rearend and than goes back to the front?

Your saying the MC is empty at the rear reservoir? That means its something to the front brake lines, the smaller part in the front of the MC is for the rear brakes. Try filling it up, and pump the brakes and have someone (or if its leaking that bad YOU will see it) but watch underneath and see where the leak might be.

If no leaks I'm gonna say the MC, and while your at it booster, are bad and need replaced.

As for asking my Pitbull, she looked at it and barked. I do not understand barking. :rotf: I was talking about the reservoir for the rear brakes being empty. Sorry I was not clear.

I will look in DIY and do search about the porportioning valve. Thank for the info.

If you only replaced back to the T at the raer axle, It sounds like you didnt replace the hard lines that go to the wheel cylinders. Is this correct? If so, That is probally where the leak is (possibly the wheel cylinder itself). Mine rotted away just above the axle near the wheel cylinder on my MJ and my XJ.

What tee are you referring to in the rear? It sounds like you still have the rear height sensing valve installed. There is a special bleeding procedure if you have that valve, which has been posted here a couple of times. If you still have the rear height sensing valve, you MUST follow that procedure. Also, if you still have the rear height sensing valve, I hope you replaced both lines to the rear, and I hope you didn't get them crossed or your brakes may not work correctly.