Unit Bearing ?

Wanted to get some opinions on the strength of D30 unit bearings vs. locking hubs.I have heard they,unit bearings,can take quite a bit of abuse, some say more than aftermarket hubs.On the other hand,it would seem that a floating hub,if thats the correct term,would'nt rely on the stub shaft to hold things together.So , any recomendations? I want to stay 5x4.5 for now and I'm not to worried about minor change's in track width.I'm interested in hearing any thoughts so jump right in, thanks.

:popcorn:

For the price of locking hub conversion, you could buy a bunch of unit bearings. :D In my opinion there's nothing wrong with unit bearings, it's mostly just that the bearings in our trucks are 20 years old.

The one that failed was a 1 year and two week old Timken unit. I usually buy Timken to help out the local economy (they are based not 15 miles from here), but after that, and a coworker with a ZJ having gotten two bad Timken bearings in a row at Autozone, I have lost my faith in them. The driver side OEM one is still doing fine after 23 years.

Once you're running 35s the d30 unit bearings don't like you much... So you ought to keep an eye onthem maybe check them every oil change for play but other than that just run em til they're worn out. Prett tough and the warn hub conv is 1000+$

Once you're running 35s the d30 unit bearings don't like you much... So you ought to keep an eye onthem maybe check them every oil change for play but other than that just run em til they're worn out. Prett tough and the warn hub conv is 1000+$

Ya, I hear that. I don't think I'll go over 33's.

I buy my sets from company in Cleveland 90.00 for both shipped. (you can find them on ebay)

They last just as long as the 150 a piece (Timken) units. I get couple years out of a set. I wheel my ring allot and they get wet and get mud and grit in them and they die. If they are street driving they may last years longer.

with stock tires they may last as long as factory units?