Sheetmetal question...

Hey all,

The drivers floor on my MJ has seen better days and was looking to fix it soon. What guage sheet metal should I use? Its not a huge area that I need to fix, but I'd still like to get it repaired soon. Also, where could I get smaller pieces of the appropriate guage sheet metal?

Thanks for looking,

Matt

Lowe's sells sheets of plain steel. They have two gauges, and I used the heavier -- 18 gauge, I think, but maybe 16. They are 4 numbers apart, so it's either 22 and 18, or 20 and 16. They have a couple of sizes that are perfect for MJ floor patches (not a complete replacement), and it's not galvanized so there's no problem welding it.

How do those pans address the large hump that runs from the front of the truck to the rear? Those don't look like they are formed to sit over top of it.

Edit: It looks to me like you need to remove the large center brace and the smaller brace that connects to it, weld in the replacement floor, and then replace those braces. Whew...that would be a days work!

whoa!! hold on a moment!

I bought the c2c pans, because they were the cheapest, it was a waste of my money. The pans were poorly sized, inaccurately formed, and i wound up buying more sheet to make up for what they lacked. AND, i had to reform the pans anyway. If you're going to do your floors, just buy some sheet and form it yourself. a 4'x10' sheet of 20 gauge in austin cost $55, those c2c floor pans cost 125! if you want some help, send me a pm, i'll be happy to walk you through it