Rim refinishing....

Well it got me moving. I picked these up in a trade and they have been sitting for some time. I wasn't sure what I would do with them. I knew I was going to refinish them. My brother in law had them sand blasted for me! They came out nice, wish I had thought to remove the wheel weights first...but I don't think it will be too noticable.

Here is what they looked like before.

Image Not Found

Here is what they lok like now:

Image Not Found

I took a ride to Pep-Boys looking for paint. i found some specfically for rims!! Probably the SAME THING as reg paint, just cost two bucks more a can!! :banghead: BUT I got it anyhow. I decided on a top coat of clear as well.

Image Not Found

I have a set of 30" BFG's in the garage to mount on them. This way I can also move them out doors!! I hate to store UN-mounted tars outside!!

I'll post up more pics as I get them painted and mounted up!!

Bri

Sweet them are cherokee Limited wheels my friend was looking for a set to make a YJ Limited clone. YJ Limiteds were never sold in the US only in the UK.

How much does your brother in law charge to blast rims? i have a set of Comanche turbines i would like to clean up.

What I am thinking of doing is to completely paint with the GRAPHITE color. Then go back and mask the actual rim or sides and sand the center section to a brushed look and clear coat.

That way the color will only be on the inside edges and sides. I think it will look good, but just an idea.

I shot the rims with the first coats tonight.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

The paint covers nicely. If fills most of the "texture" left from snad blasting. At least while wet....

We shall see what it looks like in the AM....

CW

Sweet them are cherokee Limited wheels my friend was looking for a set to make a YJ Limited clone. YJ Limiteds were never sold in the US only in the UK.

How much does your brother in law charge to blast rims? i have a set of Comanche turbines i would like to clean up.

I got them for the family discount.... :roll: :roll: :D ;) FREE!!!

I just had to wait till the sand blaster guy, had extra time on a job and the sand to do it with out my having to buy it. It took him a couple weeks but I didn't care. its not like I NEED there right away. Its just kinda a project.

A guy over on my clubs board did his and they came out GREAT!! It kinda spurred me to get movin on mine.

I like to hook ya up, but the distance and all shipping/delivery would be way expensive!!

CW

CW - those look sweet. i hope to get my hands on some turbines some day and do that exact color combo with them.

Jeepthing - if ya want to pay shipping i would blast your turbines for cheap, like i said. and if you want to see some that i have done in the past i will try and track down some pics of my 86 rims before and after shots.

Alex

Well, Painting from the rear did nothing....its just flat back there, no angular advantage. Kinda makes sense actually, otherwise how would they get the rim out of the mold with angles from all directions!!! :dunno: :rolleyes:

I shot some color on it anyhow. Even if its just to "seal" it up from the elements.

Image Not Found

The first coat looked and felt awesome!! A nice and smooth even finish.

I need to find some center caps. I guess will just go to the stealership. I would like the ones on the ZJ's. they are metal and say JEEP on them. the ones that go on these rims are plastic and black and say JEEP on them.

CW

I just did a quick search.

I found these: http://www.hubcaps.org/jeep.html

At the bottom of the page just right of center...I ALMOST CHOKED!!!

$30 EACH!!! That's $120 for a set!!! I don't THINK SO! :headpop: :headpop: I could see maybe $10 or 12 but #) that's plain absurd!

I'll keep looking you can count on that.

EBay always has some.

I have been on there now for the past hour...seems everybody is measuring them differently!! As far as I knew, these where all the same size with in the Jeep name.

But people are measuring them as 2" to 2 1/2" in diameter/

Mine are 2 3/8+ overall diameter with a 2.10" dia hole. Measured with a Vernier Caliper.

SO, I have a Buddie double checking as I do not have a pert number from the actual center cap. I only have PN's from the rims I need them to fit.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

CW

I found a center cap from a JEEP % spoke rim and that DOES NOT fit, So I guess I was wrong, there ARE different sizes. You wouldn't think that would happen, but as feerocknok noticed, I guess JEEP doesnt make all their own rims!!

I grabbed a set off EBay. but I now think they will not fit. I think they will fit the 5 Spoke.

Supposedly, the Eliminator wheels center caps are the same as mine. If someone has them, could you be kind enough to remove one center cap and tell me the Serial Number? It would be GREATLY appreciated.

In the mean time, I'll keep looking. :cry:

CW

did you ever get the parts number? if not i have it for ya: 52003621. but the parts manual only lists one number. so if there are different sizes then they are not listed. if you still need the Eliminator ones measured i can get that also.

Alex

did you ever get the parts number? if not i have it for ya: 52003621. but the parts manual only lists one number. so if there are different sizes then they are not listed. if you still need the Eliminator ones measured i can get that also.

Alex

ALEX,

That PN is for the eliminater center cap? VERY cool thank you!!

CW

nope that is the part number for the one you are looking for. here is the eliminator part number though incase you need it: 52003759. and no problem, this is why i took the parts manual off the dealerships hands i use to work at.

Alex