Completed my full gauge swap - Why doesn't the tach work?

From what I have read about the swap to a full gauge cluster, the tach is "plug and play", but mine doesn't work at all. All the other gauges work and I have swapped out the 2 sending units. The cluster came out of a 89 XJ and is now in my 89 MJ so I know it is compatible.

Is there something I am missing or something I should check?

Maybe try this, although I posted this for the gas gauge, the same principle applies.

Quote, previous post, from me: " I had these same kind of problems with my cluster swap. I pulled the cluster back out. Then clearanced the plug openings (female side) with an x-Acto knife so that the male plug would "click" into place easier. Before I reconnected the plugs, I took a sharp object and pulled up on the electrical contacts (male side) to increase contact pressure. Actually my problem was with the gas gauge, after I did this I reinstalled it, no problems."

What engine do you have? The tach for the 4 cylinder won't register right with a 6 cylinder and vice versa. IIRC, there is a potentiometer on the back of the cluster to adjust the setting.

The tach working should be plug and play. If it came from a 4.0 and went into a 4.0, it should even read correctly without needing adjustments.

So either you have a wiring problem, or the tach is broken.