1986 Jeep Comanche Electrical Issue

Hello,

I have a 1986 MJ with the 2.8 Liter V6 and had an issue last night. Don't ask me how but for some reason I had some wires wrap around my front drive shaft and get yanked out of their connections. I can't seem to figure out where they were connected to to put them back. :???:

The image below is where the wires go to on the harness but have no idea where they go to on the other end.

In the below image I need to figure out what connects to wire #1 and wire # 2 and whether or not there was a wire #3 and what that attached to.

The truck was running when the wires got torn out and I heard a weird noise when it happened but thought maybe it was some rocks and mud getting kicked up so kept on driving. :doh: Drove it down to the gas station to get gas and after filling up went to leave and the engine wouldn't start (starter wouldn't even turn over) so I had to walk home and get my neighbors truck to have it towed.

is the small wire to the starter solenoid in place? Maybe thats why you couldnt start, if thats the starter wire, but I don't know. That would explain why it kept running but won't turn over to restart. I would start there and maybe someone else could give you the rest> Good luck!

Okay figured out the wires go to the neutral safety switch on the transmission but have no idea what wire goes to what post, there are three of them. I did manage to get it started by using the old screwdriver to the starter trick. Checked with autozone and I can get a new plug to fit onto the switch but still need to figure out the order of the wires. I have the Haynes manual but it kinda sucks in my opinion. None of the wire colors match with their schematic.

• 2 weeks later...

The 2 wires you show goes to the transmission nuetral sw. The other wires go nowhere. They're just there. Got this data from a '84, '85, '86 XJ. The '85 has the 2 center wires jumpered. The '84 and 86 doesn't.

Edit

I found my '86 wiring book. As stated above the yellow and the black wires go to the tran nuetral sw. If you have the auto one of the remaining wires is for backup lt. The 3 I looked at were all standard.

Reread your post and caught the part about 3 terminal switch. Means automatic. I don't have any autos so I can't help you with what wire goes where. However the yellow and the brown wires are your nuetral using 2 of the terminals and the third wire is back up light.