Care to make an estimate?

My son wrecked the MJ last night. :mad: . .He is OK.

"If" we fix it, it will require a minimum of:

fender and flare

Hood (Maybe)

front bumper

fan shroud

stablizer bar

front axle (Maybe)

wheel

grill

headlight and turn signal lights

Not sure what else it will need until we start tearing into it.

Right now I'm trying to estimate what it will cost him to fix it as opposed to replacing it.

comes out of his pocket as insurance was liability only.

The front axle where there is a big [ that is where the wheels attach. Not sure what you call it. But it is bent and the [ is almost touching the front spring.

Anyone care to estimate what these parts will total?

Glad to hear your son is OK, but we all know shtt happens.

Don't know about an estimate, but I would be looking for a XJ as a doner, if its all front end damage, direct swap in. From what '86 thru '95 XJ. The cost of the XJ with blowen motor, or just shot should be $200 -$400 and then sell off the rest of the parts from the rear end. That will give you the other little parts that you might need to get it back togetter.

If you were closer to me, I'm tearing down a '93 XJ, 2wd now. I picked it up for $200, 76K on the clock, and already sold off the rear hatch, and some other parts.

Glad to hear noone's injured (except your son's wallet)

Got any good junkyards near you? Pull all the stuff you need off an XJ if there aren't any MJ's in them.

Sounds like about $250 worth of stuff (even less if you don't have to replace the axle).

Got any pics? That'll give us a better idea of the damage.

Jeff

I assume that { means the inner c on the axle. If that's bent where it attached to the knuckle you're going shopping for a new D30 up front.

finding a beat up donor XJ is probably the best bet. It's likely that if he bent the knuckle it may have also bent the LCA. A hit that hard could have tweaked the unibody too. Do the doors still open and close alright? might wnat to pay somebody the $50 it would take to check the frame for square before finding parts.

yep.

figured the doner XJ would be the best option.

I figured that the front axle would be an issue.

doors still open/close OK and nothing looks out of alignment as far as doors, cab vs. bed, etc.

I don't have any pics.

:roll:

If it was hit hard enough to mangle the front axle, you'll want to check to be sure the front of the crankshaft wasn't hit hard enough to damage the engine, and you'll also want to check the front unibody extension rails to be sure they haven't been bent out of position.

Your best solution for parts is to buy a beater XJ of similar vintage, take what you need, and sell the remaining parts to recoup the cost of the donor vehicle.

If it was hit hard enough to mangle the front axle, you'll want to check to be sure the front of the crankshaft wasn't hit hard enough to damage the engine, and you'll also want to check the front unibody extension rails to be sure they haven't been bent out of position.

Your best solution for parts is to buy a beater XJ of similar vintage, take what you need, and sell the remaining parts to recoup the cost of the donor vehicle.

thanks.

It wasn't hit directly in front. I'll check, but; I believe that the engine is OK. It was hit in the front corner.

tat would explain the knuckle damage then, SOunds like the front wheel took most of the impact.

Thankfully MJ LCA pockets are definitely overbuilt and they're likely fine. Check them anyway, and check that the LCA isn't bent.

As long as it hasn't bent anything in the body I would say fix it. The sheetmetal parts aren't hard to come by if you don't mind mixing colors. Now might be a good time to do a 97+ nose swap since you'd only have to add another fender to it to complete it. Don't limit your donor vehicles to the 96-, the fenders and front clip from a 97+ will bolt on, and it looks good. SAme thing with the axle, front suspension never changed. The only question is gearing, you'l need to find one geared the same as the rear, unless you want to take the gears out of the old one, but that's a real PITA.

Crap, I forgot about gears. . .

Know what gears would be in a '90 MJ with AW4 and Metric Ton option?

Is there a way I can tell on the axle? If not, I guess I can do the old turn the wheels and count the turns on the driveshaft thing.

More than likely 3.55's but don't assume anything with Jeeps :D

Image Not Found

There shoud be a metal tag held on by 2 diff cover bolts, right where the passenger side axletube meets the center section. It has a bunch of number on it. Ignore the long string of #'s on the top line, but the second line will have the tooth count of the r&p, plus the ratio. It'll look something like this:

3.54 39 11

3.54 is the ratio, the ring gear has 39 teeth and the pinoin has 11 teeth

HTH,

Jeff

Crap, I forgot about gears. . .

Know what gears would be in a '90 MJ with AW4 and Metric Ton option?

Is there a way I can tell on the axle? If not, I guess I can do the old turn the wheels and count the turns on the driveshaft thing.

pull the diff cover, it should be stamped on the ring gear.

It will have the teeth numbers, divide to get the ratio like jeff said.

It should be 3.55 if that's the case you're lucky, cause that's what XJ's got from the factory with the auto, and the auto/i6 is probably the most popular kid in town.

My son wrecked the MJ last night. :mad: . .He is OK.

Since no one else wanted to estimate for you here goes.

Goto a U-Pull it like Harry's U-Pull it in Hazelton PA where you know without a doubt that you are going to find several good XJ's

"If" we fix it, it will require a minimum of:

fender and flare

$20

Hood (Maybe)

$25

front bumper

$25

fan shroud

$15

stablizer bar

$15

front axle (Maybe)

$100

wheel

Depends on what kind it is $10 $50

grill

$10

headlight and turn signal lights

$50

Not sure what else it will need until we start tearing into it.

Right now I'm trying to estimate what it will cost him to fix it as opposed to replacing it.

comes out of his pocket as insurance was liability only.

The front axle where there is a big [ that is where the wheels attach. Not sure what you call it. But it is bent and the [ is almost touching the front spring.

Anyone care to estimate what these parts will total?

So lets see, add in the incidentals like a radiator and a tranny cooler header panel, bezels, head light buckets, wiring harness, inner fender skirt etc, and you should be around $500 total to fix without paint from U-Pull it.

The basic axle is the same on an '86 but some early Cherokees used CV joints at the outer axles rather than u-joints. They'll work, but when they go bad they are expensive to repair. At that point, it's cheaper to buy a pair of used inner and outer shafts set up for u-joints.

See my other post regarding brakes. Those aren't the same. (Hint -- the 86 rotors don't warp like the 90 ones do.)

I'll have a hood and some other stuff at Cleves OH swap meet. Lots of d30 parts and some lower control arms. I also have a d30 but it's locked and 4.10 and matches a rear that I don't want to split up, but I've got shafts and roters and stuff like that.

Good luck

• 4 weeks later...