xbox gurus...360 elite RROD

JeepcoMJ

so, my 360 elite (past warranty) just RROD'd on me.

after letting it cool down, I can restart it and it will go into startup...so the hardware failure can't be too bad (yet). for sure the fans are screwed...they've been loud for awhile now, and I've been running it with outside fans.

anyone here ever had any experiences with RROD? any ideas on repairs?

Thanks,

Pat

ya you just call 1 888 4 my xbox and get them to send you a box to ship it back to them to fix. they are ALL under warranty. they want you to keep buying games for $60+, they fix it fir free, and pay to get it shipped 2 them....after about 3 weeks you get a refurbed one back :thumbsup:

past warranty, just go on ebay and youll find like a thousand people who fix them for like 35 bucks...or just but one without any memory for like 50 bucks.....

theres no real cure for the RROD....temp fix....wrap in ice and towels.....overheat again.....etc

theres a ton of ways on youtube, but they are very temporary....

i just bought a new one on ebay for 55 bucks when mine broke

when i sent it out, they sent it back NOT FIXED!

they said it was internally tampered with

but i bought it brand new out of box from best buy????

go figure :nuts:

ya you just call 1 888 4 my xbox and get them to send you a box to ship it back to them to fix. they are ALL under warranty. they want you to keep buying games for $60+, they fix it fir free, and pay to get it shipped 2 them....after about 3 weeks you get a refurbed one back :thumbsup:

It's 2 years old, it's outside manufacturer warranty. microsoft doesn't cover any other poor designs/software mistakes they've made, why would they cover this just because it doesn't cool well?

furthermore, I'd like to put the guts from the 360 into a spare computer tower that I have, along with the guts from my ps2 and a larger hard drive while I'm at it...a friend of mine did this and it's alot more convenient size and wire-wise.

I have had 2 boxes rrod, I was able to send them to Microsoft and they fixed/replaced them. give that my xbox number a call and see if they will do anything, they did extend the warranty out longer so it may still qualify. if not read up on fixes at llamma.com or join a forum like xbox-scene (it may be xbox360-scene now I dunno but a google search will bring it up.) they also talk a lot about modding and case mods.

vid. card died, it's not actually RROD...it RROD'd because I swapped from HDMI to HDTV connector but hadn't connected it properly, so it gave me a full ring rather than any of the other rings.

sooo...I've got a toast elite. I'll have to buy one off craigslist, and keep this one for parts. at least I've got a 120gig hard drive :D

Pat, SS is actually right... Call XBOX... The RROD is covered lifetime... As long as you registered it, you are good. They send a box, you send it out, and they send it back.

Rob L.

I never registered it, and I don't know if zach did or if it was his mom who registered it, or if it ever got registered at all.

How many red rings are you getting? Two is an overheat, which means you need to clean the heat sinks and possibly get new fans. Three is the video card, which is easy to fix with the x-clamp mod. Four is a cable problem, which you can fix by getting a new cable.

How many red rings are you getting? Two is an overheat, which means you need to clean the heat sinks and possibly get new fans. Three is the video card, which is easy to fix with the x-clamp mod. Four is a cable problem, which you can fix by getting a new cable.

the only one i got was 4 ring and it was because it wasnt hooked to the tv.

turned on, its frozen immediately, and the whole screen is checkered static...but no rrod from that

the only one i got was 4 ring and it was because it wasnt hooked to the tv.

turned on, its frozen immediately, and the whole screen is checkered static...but no rrod from that

Give XBOX a call. I got mine like you did, through friends who it had been passed down... I called, registered it, and I am all good to go.

Rob L.