Exhuast Manifold Question

I need a new exhaust manifold on my 89 Renix 4.0. I have searched the board up and down and have seen a lot of different answers but what exactly is stoping a 92 and up manifold/header from fitting a 91 and below engine? Is it possible to fit a 92 and up manifold on a renix motor and if so how?

The reason I want to know is simply becuase you can buy a 92 up APN header for around the same price if not cheaper than the price of a new renix stock manifold.

You're a little mixed up on your years. 91 was the first year for the HO, not 92.

As for the differences on the head, I believe the ports are different for the intakes, not the exhaust.

Renix manifolds have the O2 sensor on the... HO ones do not. It's in the downpipe.

so if the exhaust ports are the same then wouldnt that mean that a 91 and newer manifold would fit on a renix motor?

it will bolt up just fine. the biggest issue would be the lack of an egr bung, which may or may not matter-depending on the emissions testing for your state. also it will be lacking an o2 sensor bung, and the current downpipe will have to be modified(IIRC). not really that big a deal, and the o.e. renix manifold is a not a very hi-po piece anyway...

edit: just noticed you're in CA as well, wouldn't be that big a deal to weld in a bung to keep the egr. if i didn't already have a borla renix header, i'd be doing just that.

I believe if you go with a HO exhaust manifold, the downpipe is also different vs. renix. You could get around that with any good muffler shops or if you have a welder. Or get a HO downpipe.

I thought there was Renix intake manifold clearance issues with the HO exhaust manifold as well... :???: