2wd to 4wd

bdjr

ok guys got a chance to convert my manche to 4wd. possible dana35 front axel/t-case and 4speed manual off fo a 4.0. as well as front and rear shafts for a longbed. mine has a 2.8 and auto trans so i won't be using the tranny. will the t-case bolt up or not? should i try this? it became a daily driver since my daughter is 16 and took my explorer. Or should I just leave it a 2wd and post the gear for sale. :dunno: :???:

is there something i should know? axel gearing needs to be the same?

lost in delaware

bill

Unfortunately, the driveshafts are probably not the right length, you will need a 4wd trans that bolts to a 2.8L (4.0L transmissions won't), and you'll need to check that the t-case has a 21 spline input. Oh, and the gear ratios need to match front to rear (if the front axle came from a 4.0L/stick, than it has 3.0 gears and that will suck)

Just some info for you if you do sell the parts: Front axle is a Dana 30 and all sticks behind 4.0Ls are 5-speeds.

The 5 speed off a 4 banger could be an AX 5 which should swap onto a 2.8L... I just did the opposite, took a 2.8L Ax5 and put it on my 2.5L.

You could also look for a stick already behind a 2.8L, but if you're dreaming dream of a full 4.0L swap...

Or you can buy mine and take the 5 speed and Atlas II for your truck. I'll make you a deal on axles too!

Cheers,

Jeremiah