89 comanche auto tranny swap to 96 ax 15

you are going to need a clutch master cyl, that connects the the slave cyl (internal or external) of the transmission,

also you will need to pull out a clutch pedal (and the bolts and mount) so you can mount/bolt it to your truck,

you will also have to drill out a hole for the clutch master cyls push rod to come through the firewall, above your fuse box,

and drill two more holes for mounting bolts,

best advice for drilling the holes are, be carefule, don't hit the fuse box,

use pilot holes

take the gasket that came with the mastercyl and match up the sizes,

take a sharpie and mark out where it needs to be,

check out this thread, i had to do a master cyl upgrade,

bolt pattern was diffrent,

but it will help you a little bit,

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13533&start=32

also,

this is could be posted into the tech forum for faster response and more help :D

gl hf

do i need to change the fly wheel, also what about plugs and wires, i also want to swap the steering colum and will the bell housing be the same from a new 4.0 high output motor and the older 4.0 well I'm new here and also never messed around with trannys so i don't kno much bot this site so I'm haveing a hard time find info i need but i am greatful for ur help

hi i asked these questions but i put it in the mj project sorry

i am gonna try to make my auto mj a 5speed mj is a 89 4.0 4x4 i got a 96 ax 15 tranny and t case to go with it. i kno i need a master clinder and the pedals. i also want to switch out the steering column. but I'm not sure what else i got to do like will i need to do anything about the bell house since i got and older 4.0 and the ax 15 is from an high output motor and what about the plugs on the tranny and some of the other wires. also do i need to chnge the flywheel

thank you for your help

thanks i read that thread but it didnt see the info i need but maybe i missed it well i just want to kno when i buy the clutch I'm thinking i should buy it for a 96 since thats the year the tranny and tc are from this clutch kit comes with Clutch Disc, Cover Assembly, Release Bearing, Pilot Bearing/Bushing & Alignment Tool; Cover Type: Raised Diaph.; 10.4x10Tx1 1/8 also I'm guessing the flywheels are diff between atuo and stick ? also with my mj bein a 89 and the tranny coming from a 96 will the bell housing be the same? and one more thing should i get the pedals and master c from 89 or 96 thank you for the help

Yes, you'll need a manual flywheel. But NOT from a 96. You will need a Renix (87-90) 4.0 flywheel. A newer flywheel will be just fine with the clutch, but your truck will no longer run.

Bellhousing will work fine. Bolt pattern for all 4.0s is the same.

Master cylinder shouldn't make much of a difference. I would get an 89 and an 89 clutch line... In 91 they switched to a plastic line with no rubber hose in the middle. Make sure all the fittings fit properly into your master and slave before you begin to install anything.

Also.. did you happen to grab the AX-15's crossmember? All the Tranny crossmembers are the same... except the one for the AX-15.

I highly recommend throwing the top two torx bolts into your scrap pile when you pull them out and replacing them with regular hex bolts or (as Pete frequently suggests after me), studs.

Pull your CPS before trans removal and replace after trans installation!

As Correy said, Automatics don't have a flywheel so you'll need to find one. and when you get it, the flywheel and specifically its CPS tone ring must match your 89 or your truck won't run. The tone ring on a 96 will be different.

if the clutch assembly comes with the release bearing, then grab the 96. but either year clutch will work. I'm running the original 88 clutch with my swapped-in 99 AX-15.

not sure on the pedal assembly. :dunno:

the later model clutch master cylinder can be made to bolt to the older truck, but it takes a bit of fab work. someone here had a write up on that, but I don't remember if it ever got into the DIY forum so it might be in the Tech forum. :hmm:

Get the 96 bellhousing. :thumbsup: it will be external slave and superior to the older ones.

ok thanks everyone yous were very helpful i got ax 15 and tc , now i just got to go get a 87-90 mc and pedal,87-90 flywheel and an ax 15 cross member ... are the cps the same for auto and and mt.....also if i am missing anything please let me know. thank you

The pilot bushing that comes with the kit will not be the correct one. The hole diameter on the Renix and HO crankshafts are not the same - no idea why. Doesn't seem like something you'd bother to change.

I believe the correct pilot bushing you need will be for a 79' CJ with a 304/4 speed.

Nope... the 89 kit won't come with a new throwout bearing (very good idea to replace whenever the transmission is out) and the pilot bushing in that kit will have the incorrect internal diameter.

Word is the CJ bushing is a $2 part that can be had at almost any part store.

i was thinking i probly def need a part number becuase theres probly diff engines and years for the cj part and if there is any other parts for the clutch i need if i can get the part number for it would be great

ok thanks so let me get the right ill buy a clutch for a 96 and one part for a cj that cost $2 and then i can put the clutch in then i got get pedal and master c fly wheel and cross member then put it in the mj ?? sounds good to me well what about wiring??

and i kno i probly keep asking some of the same things but i just want to make sure i have everything i need and i appreciate everyones help

with the tranny the slave is on there but i need to get the clutch kit it comes with everything i need it Contains Clutch Disc, Cover Assembly, Release Bearing, Pilot Bearing/Bushing & Alignment Tool; Cover Type: Raised Diaph.; 10.4x10Tx1 1/8 I'm not sure what else there is i never messed with an mt tranny

i have one more think to ask about and then i should have all the info i need for the swap i also want to get a steering column from a 5 speed 87-90 jeep is there anything i need to get with the column for the swap such as connections or wiring harness??

:clapping:

thanks again for everyones help

Column will be a direct swap, only difference in the columns is the shift selector.

Also, Automatic XJ's will have a floor shift kit, so the column will be the same as the 5 speeds.

floor shift xj columns have a lockout feature that keeps you from being able to remove the key unless the shifter is in park. it's easy to bypass, though.

FYI unless you're swapping the brake booster and master, you will need the pedals and pedal bracket from an 87-94. the pedal mounts are different.