Shocks and coils & Misc

I live on a very rough dirt road and would like to improve the ride of the comanche. The rear springs were shot and were replaced a year ago. The front coils are shot too and need replaced. Can anyone make a recomendation on excellent front coils? I would like to keep it at factory height. I don't want to raise (or lower) the front. My understanding is not only are there different coil heights but also different coil tensions which may alter the ride quality.

Per CWlongshot's recommendation, I thought I would get a set of 4 Bilstein 5100 shocks for it. What is the proper way to measure to get the right shocks. I always thought the rear of my mj sat up considerably higher than others on the road for some reason. I would think that would have an impact on the right part numbers???? So simply telling the vendor I have an '87 comanche would be only half the story.

Also, I am curious. This truck is sitting at factory ride height in the rear. The new leafs raised it 3/4" (but on one side only :yes:). Does anyone know why the rear of this truck sits higher than the front? I have not seen too many unaltered MJ's like that (I don't remember of any actually). Is it because of the D44? It has always been like that.

NICE Truck!

As far as coils go, the stock ones are about as soft as they get. Only thing that may perform a little bit better would be a set of progressive rate coils from a V8 ZJ. These would give about an inch of lift though.

I agree some 5100s would REALLY help with the ride, more than any spring replacement. These, and most monotube style shock, won't fade like common hydro shocks. Regular shocks develop air bubbles in the fluid when worked hard, thus causing them to fade out after the first few bumps.

As far as length, you should be fine with stock length shocks. Every un-modded MJ I've seen has that rake... as do most trucks. The reason is so when the bed is loaded with it's rated weight, it doesn't bottom out, or aim your headlights into the sky. Most every pickup truck made is like this if you take a close look. Yours may be a bit higher, but if you installed new leaves, they will break in. Carrying around a good load for a while will speed this up. They will also ride softer once broken in. Note: Coils generally don't have this break in period.

Here's a pic of mine when I first brought it home for height reference. Untouched stock suspension. Those are the same size tires, the color seems to make the front look bigger.

And I still have the rake, and kept it on purpose for the above reasons.... It also helps with departure angle off-road!

Beautiful Truck! :drool:

As TrailReadyMJ said, you could try V8 ZJ coils.

I got a hold of some '98 XJ UpCountry front Springs. I love the ride. Like the V8 coils, they should only net you about 1/2 to 1" of lift, but they have a higher spring rate than the OEMs. That should help even out your truck. They help clean up the sloppy ride of the too soft factory springs too IMO.

You need good shocks to compliment the springs. I have bilsteins on my other truck and while they are great shocks and improve handling, they are very quick dampening, which for some, translates into a rougher ride. I am running cheapo base Monroe shocks and don't have any complaints.

I've read alot of XJ owners like the regular old Monroe Sensatracs for a good on road ride. Kind of apples to oranges, but the have the same front suspension.

It really comes down to personal preference. Most expensive doesn't necessarily mean you'll like the ride.

As far as an "aftermarket" coil I'd probably recommend the OME. Here are some spring rates to consider.

OEM XJ/MJ Coil - 145

Old Man Emu 930 XJ Coil (aprox 2") - 160

I don't think I have an official number on the XJ UpCountry coils, but I belive they are right at the 160lb mark as well.

I'm pretty sure I have a set of the 930 coils laying around new in box if your interested.

Personally I'd go with an OME shock over the 5100's. Others may disagree but I feel the OME shock gives a much better ride than the 5100's do.

Does anyone have strong opinions about either of these springs? I found them at napaonline.com

I am trying to soften the ride on rough washboard country roads. These are variable rate coils and rated for a comanche with a 4.0. The poor thing feels like I am beating it to death driving down our roads.

Both are Napa part numbers. One is rated at 152 (their part number NCP 2775361) and the other is rated at 126 (their part number NCP 2775359). But they are both variable rate so I thought the softer coil would work well.

I am leaning toward the one on the second one.

Too soft?

• 1 year later...
Dose anyone have the part number for the moog springs would love to buy them new

Part #CC784 on RockAuto.com, $80 a pair, not bad IMO.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=201282

Doin some lookin for springs. Bumping this cause of the prices.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?tab=search&partnum=%23cc784

$78.05 This a decent price? Somewhere else I should be looking? JY?

Assuming these are decent springs to replace my 22yr old ones and lift a little

Dose anyone have the part number for the moog springs would love to buy them new

Part #CC784 on RockAuto.com, $80 a pair, not bad IMO.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=201282

Doin some lookin for springs. Bumping this cause of the prices.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?tab=search&partnum=%23cc784

$78.05 This a decent price? Somewhere else I should be looking? JY?

Assuming these are decent springs to replace my 22yr old ones and lift a little

You want a junkyard ZJ spring thats a G-code. Or, look at XJ spring codes and mix/match until you find the spring rate you are looking for.

vehicle build code SDA = normal duty

vehicle build code SDB = heavy duty

V and U spring codes are for right side (passenger), G and F are for left side (driver)

OE_spring_chart.jpeg

Great info, Thanks.

$45 for a set of V8 ZJ springs? Out of a 98. I didn't ask mileage. Keep looking?

The local u-pull-it's sell springs for $15/ea here in Denver, and most people with ZJ's give them away. Look for a local 4x4 board and see if you can score a local set.

Or, see if the person will take $20 for the set.