Need opinions on bandaids for my dying AW-4

I've talked to a few people already, but I figured a few more opinions can't hurt, and some of you might know some magic trick for this.

The AW-4 in the XJ is really, really acting up. Since I bought the truck, the only problems I had with the trans, was it didn't always go into gear right away when you'd put it in Drive or Reverse.

But a few days ago, it started acting really strange. The original problem got worse, and when ever I'm in reverse and giving it gas, I get a loud squaking sound. It sounds like a dying power steering pump(which mine does whine), but it only does it in reverse. It sounds like it's coming from the bellhousing area.

I'm also getting a bad vibration in 2nd and 4th in certain RPMs... and I just noticed tonight that 3rd is starting to do it a bit too. Enough that I can feel it in the steering wheel.

This transmission only has to last me long enough for us to get a new XJ so I can toss an AX-15 in. I've thought of a fluid change, but I don't know whether it would make it worse, or better.

Thoughts?

I am assuming you checked the fluid level? I don't think a fluid change can make it any worse than it already is. But you'd have to take it to a shop where they can tap into the cooling lines and replace ALL of it. Dropping the pan will only get about half the fluid. There's more in the valve body and torque converter that won't drain that way.

Might be time to get a junk yard replacement, though.

Aren't there dipstick breakage issues with removing the pan? The only auto trans pan I've ever pulled was a TF727 in my J10.

It's possible, but if you douche down the dipstick joint up real good beforehand w. PB Blaster, it will usually come apart by twisting back and forth carefully efore trying to separate it. I haven't broken one yet. :eek: Just replace the o-ring on reassembly. As mvusse suggests, you can not change all the fluid as there is no drain plug on the converter, stupid engineering, so you could bring it a tranny shop w. a suck and blow machine. But I'd like to see what's in the bottom of the pan first.

The drain plug sets about 3/8" above the floor of the pan, so you won't get much info by peering in. Stick a telescoping magnet in the hole and probe around; it will pick up any loose ferrous material that's in there. Might give you a clue if you have to go deeper. :D

Well, we went out again today and I checked the fluid... it was very low. I dumped the 2 quarts I had in, hopefully that'll do enough until I can get some more tomorrow.

Now I gotta start looking for a leak... damn thing leaks so much oil I never would have noticed a trans leak.

It would appear that the two lower bellhousing to motor bolts decided to jump ship. I could verify the passenger top one was still there... dunno about the driver's.

After a call frenzy trying to find out the bolt size/pitch, I limped it to O'reilly's, we figured out size and pitch... but they didn't have any long enough. I limped it to the hardware store down the road, and $5 later I had two new bolts. Thankfully everything was still lined up on their dowels and the bolts went right in. Vibration is gone, but it's still making a noise from that area. Hopefully when the truck cools down and I go out and can tighten everything back down, it'll go away.

I'm hoping there's no damage to the TC or any seals.. but I'm expecting it too. At least this way, hopefully, the darn thing will last as long as I need it to.

It would appear that the two lower bellhousing to motor bolts decided to jump ship. I could verify the passenger top one was still there... dunno about the driver's.

After a call frenzy trying to find out the bolt size/pitch, I limped it to O'reilly's, we figured out size and pitch... but they didn't have any long enough. I limped it to the hardware store down the road, and $5 later I had two new bolts. Thankfully everything was still lined up on their dowels and the bolts went right in. Vibration is gone, but it's still making a noise from that area. Hopefully when the truck cools down and I go out and can tighten everything back down, it'll go away.

I'm hoping there's no damage to the TC or any seals.. but I'm expecting it too. At least this way, hopefully, the darn thing will last as long as I need it to.

the most likely damage is that the flexplate is cracked.

if it is, you cover shipping and I'll get a proper renix one down to you...though I do think you have one from the motor you got from zach

The one from Zach is the one in the truck, the original is still attached to the other motor in my carport.

Tomorrow I'll pop the inspection cover off and see if I can find any cracks. I wanted to check the converter bolts too, anyway.

The one from Zach is the one in the truck, the original is still attached to the other motor in my carport.

Tomorrow I'll pop the inspection cover off and see if I can find any cracks. I wanted to check the converter bolts too, anyway.

ok, then you still have the one that came out of it. the flexplates crack when the bellhousing moves, they crack 360 degrees around the crankshaft where it bolts down, so the way to figure out if it's cracked is to remove the inspection cover, start it, and have someone tap the gas...you'll see if it' moves seperate from the crank at all.