empty your gas tank !!

yes there are other ways to empty your MJ`s fuel tank other than simply driving it lol....

while stripping down the comanche yesterday I needed to grind off one of the trans mount bolts, and this is when I found out my fuel tank was leaking lol..... got to love fire ;D

the tank was 1/2 full, and i was working alone so I knew removing it was going to be a PITA. Then I had a thought, why not bypass the fuel pump relay and let the tank pump itself dry ?? simply unhook your fuel line and if need be attach a hose to it to reach a gas can. take a piece of wire and jump it from your + battery terminal to the fuel pump relay connector as shown. I was in the process of removing the engine, but you get the idea.no need to have the key on to do this. I drained my gas tank in under 10 minutes !

18850_273662193119_511328119_3281379_2219216_n.jpg

18850_273662208119_511328119_3281381_2479017_n.jpg

I used to pump to pump the tank dry last year to replace the pump sock and clean crud out of the tank. But I unplugged the harness nearest the tank and hooked up a battery charger directly to the pump leads.

It worked, but your way is simpler.

older gm's actually had a jumper wire sitting on the firewall that ran the pump when jumped to power. came in handy, especially when i had a customer jam a diesel pump in her buick and filled it with diesel, luckily the gas station attendant brought it to her attention before she tried to start it.

Jeez! I hope you had a fire extinguisher nearby when you did this.

To me that doesn't seem too smart of a thing to do, discharging the fuel in such close proximity to an ignition source (the hot wire that you jumped the relay center with). Even a bigger bad is doing this inside an "attached" garage; start a fire in the garage, whole house goes up, seen it happen.

To all reading this post, this might be a good idea done right.

But Please be careful, have a good fire extinguisher nearby

Actually it's a good idea to keep a few extinguishers around, it really sucks to need one and not have one, seen this happen too.

I have an extinguisher close at hand just in case . the floor was damp from rain the night before and I couldn`t tell the fuel was leaking until I got under the jeep and had a small flicker of flame when I was grinding. Its always a good idea to check for fuel leaks before doing any type of cutting,grinding,or welding, and I always do, but I think when I moved the old brake lines out of the way I ruptured a leaky fuel line behind the tank skid and this caused the leak later.

as for the jumper wire under the hood, the battery pack shown in the pic has an on/off switch, so there were no sparks at any time. I simply shut it off when I needed to empty the jerry can.

safety first !! :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

You can also place the 5gallon tank under the truck to drain the fuel tank. Just pull the rubber hose that comes out of the fuel pump. Easy to access and the length is just right to drain into a 5gallon tank with the plastic spout pointed up.

Wish I would have saw this thread before I drained my tank.... key on, off, on... repeat :ack:

You can also place the 5gallon tank under the truck to drain the fuel tank. Just pull the rubber hose that comes out of the fuel pump. Easy to access and the length is just right to drain into a 5gallon tank with the plastic spout pointed up.

Wish I would have saw this thread before I drained my tank.... key on, off, on... repeat :ack:

yep it would work that way also and probably with less hassle than unlocking the fuel rail. just be sure the exhaust is cool, the XJ pumps run 30-40 psi so if your hose happens to jump out of the can you don`t want fuel spraying everywhere

• 2 months later...