Renix alt upgrade/move.....pics, anyone?

Looks like my alternator has seized on me, along with the fan. As I have the 89 Renix, I'd rather not rewire to put in a ZJ alt (although the 136a upgrade would be nice).

Figure I might just move the alt up with the 2.5l bracket upgrade as well if I can find info....does anyone have pics of this setup? And how about a belt number, instead of just a length (75")....computer readers at the front desk of a parts store have a hard time thinking out of the box.

Thanks.

Yup, alternator bearings seized. Looks like a really bad soldering job on the back of it now. :shake:

I figured it was the fan, but it was definately the alternator. However, the fan doesn't seem to spin freely....it should spin without drag, correct?

Everything is off. It does feel like the viscous coupling dragging, but I'm not sure how much drag there should be. Seems to be a LOT of drag, but that could just be me.

The hard thing about learning everything first hand is not having secondhand experience to draw on.

Looks like my alternator has seized on me, along with the fan. As I have the 89 Renix, I'd rather not rewire to put in a ZJ alt (although the 136a upgrade would be nice).Thanks.

Why? You can pickup the 136A NipponDenso alt for cheap at the yard from these Mopar vehicles:

1997-1998 Dodge B.Series Van

1997-1998 Dodge Dakota

1998 Dodge Durango

1997-1998 Dodge Ram Pickup

1997-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee

as well as others. PN:56027913. All you need to do is wire in an external voltage regulator for it; the provisions are on the alt for this. There are several writeups on NAXJA and other Jeep forums for doing this on a Renix.

Looks like my alternator has seized on me, along with the fan. As I have the 89 Renix, I'd rather not rewire to put in a ZJ alt (although the 136a upgrade would be nice).Thanks.

Why? You can pickup the 136A NipponDenso alt for cheap at the yard from these Mopar vehicles:

1997-1998 Dodge B.Series Van

1997-1998 Dodge Dakota

1998 Dodge Durango

1997-1998 Dodge Ram Pickup

1997-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee

as well as others. PN:56027913. All you need to do is wire in an external voltage regulator for it; the provisions are on the alt for this. There are several writeups on NAXJA and other Jeep forums for doing this on a Renix.

Thanks. It was my understanding that a 136a alt would cause issues with the older wiring.

Thanks. It was my understanding that a 136a alt would cause issues with the older wiring.

Negative. Depending on the system load, the alt will only put out enough amps to keep the battery charged within the voltage regulator HI-LO settings. Issues start when more system load is added (i.e. 10KW headlamps and driving lights, winches, ghetto stereo amps, other power-hungry accessories, etc.). This added load requires more amps through the stock wiring that it was never engineered to handle, thus wire frying could result. If your overall system load stays the same, no problems. :cheers:

i run fire lights, whats the highest load the wiring can handle? Will it take a powermaster's 190A?

I have no idea what a powermaster's 190A is. As with any high amp load (halogens, electric fans, etc.) they should be be relay activated, and the stock wiring used only to trigger the relay coil. Standard automotive relays are normally rated for 30A-40A loads.