Finally got the engine out! What a pain in the #$@!

I finally got the 4.0l out of my mj tonight. It took so long and I was so cold and tired, I didn't even get a chance to see what happened to it. Tomorrow it gets gutted and I can see which ring I lost. Those two star bolts at the top of the eng/tranny mounting hardware are a royal pain in the.... I think I will be taking the tranny out and then putting them back in together. Or is that a bigger pain than just doing it the old fashion way? I hope I can remember where each of the million and half vaccum hoses go!

I am leaning towards a reman. engine. I have done some research and I think this will fit my needs the best as far as time/budget. It's still going to to be a few months anyway before I can afford to much of ANYTHING to it. But I can't wait.

Toss those bolts out. Take them to your hardware store and get some Grade 8 replacements. No need to yank the tranny just for that.

Oh, and if you haven't already, remove your CPS from the bellhousing before putting a motor in. Then put it back on before you reattach the manifolds.

Toss those bolts out. Take them to your hardware store and get some Grade 8 replacements. No need to yank the tranny just for that.

Oh, and if you haven't already, remove your CPS from the bellhousing before putting a motor in. Then put it back on before you reattach the manifolds.

IF you don't reattach the manifolds before you drop it in.

correy, I still say you're the only person who yanks manifolds before you yank the motor. IDK how you do it...I know I can't fit my hands in there...