Another lift question.

i currently have on my 88 SWB a 4 inch spring under lift. i want to add another 2 inches to my lift without going spring over, what kind of options do i have? my truck sees mostly street usage with mild trails in the mix. the front has the 4 inch drop brackets in it and my next question is to add to that, can i just put in the larger springs with the drop brackets?

Erik

control arms and track bar are stock. i was under the impression that i couldnt get longer shackles in the rear due to how long MJ shackles already are. as for the front i just needed to know if i could put longer springs on and still leave the 4 inch drop brackets on there.

i don't have the talent, means or resources to do a SOA, not only that, but i have a D35 with 3:07's, when i do find another axle to swap in, i don't want to have to cut and re-weld the lift on the new one, ya know? so what about the chevy shackles? they are longer? why do some urge against it?

The drop shackles for the chevy are actually very long... Some advise against using the long shackles because they can and do put more stress on the spring with the increase distance and leverage... You can pick the drop shackles off of ebay, usually they have 2 holes for different heights.

But if you have plans to get a new axle anyway, why not wait, find one with the right gears, and do it right when you can? No sense in doing things twice, buying cheap parts to net small lifts now, or just save up for an axle, have a member help burn some perches on, and get it done right in one shot.

Rob L.

i understand what else needs to be done in order to have a 6 inch lift, i didn't expect to get some springs and shackles and be done with it. i was just looking for other avenues for the rear end because i can't weld, don't have a welder, don't know anyone that welds, don't have a garage, and probably can't afford to pay someone to do it for me. not to mention what i said earlier about eventually swapping the axle.

i understand what else needs to be done in order to have a 6 inch lift, i didn't expect to get some springs and shackles and be done with it. i was just looking for other avenues for the rear end because i can't weld, don't have a welder, don't know anyone that welds, don't have a garage, and probably can't afford to pay someone to do it for me. not to mention what i said earlier about eventually swapping the axle.

I know there has to be a member in your area or close who could help you tie a new SOA axle up...

Rob L.

isn't there another way to go SOA without welding? some type of bracket?

There is, and I would only reccommend that as a LAST resort... There are a few companies out there that offer a bolt on SOA, but it seems to be a weak point as its not hard welded to the axle. It also turns into a rock magnet with all the extra plates and junk hanging off of the bottom. I think there is a member or two that has a kit with those. Still easier and cheaper in my book to just burn some perches on. Can you wait to find an axle?

Rob L.

Bolt on SOA kits are way more money than an angle grinder, cutting disk, pair of perches and $20 to pay a welding shop to weld them on.

And if you use your current axle, you can skip the angle grinder. The SUA perches will not be in the way for SOA perches.

So perches plus $20. (And a set of stock springs).

well, as far as rock magnets go thats not too big of a concern of mine as i don't do any heavy wheeling and if my drop brackets on the front don't hit anything that i don't think the ones on the rear would be an issue.

If the 4" lift isn't causing any problems, why go higher? :dunno: a taller truck leads to a higher COG, and a higher COG than necessary is generally a bad idea, especially on the street and especially since your track width is still about stock..

If you're itchin' for a project, what about WJ control arms, a big ZJ swaybar, and a proper track bar? Just make sure that the trackbar is good for 4-6" so you won't have to replace it twice should you change your mind later. :thumbsup:

How is your rear lifted now?

Oh, and check with your local muffler place. chances are if you walk in with an axle and some perches, they'll burn it on for pretty cheap.

here's the SOA brackets. they are more money but the are a simple bolt in.

I used them because they came with my lift and i plan to go Dana44 in the future.when i get a 44 all i have to do is open up the holes for the larger axle and bolt it in. at that point i plan to weld the perches,relocate the shock mounts, and remove the bolt in portion.

but till then they have been working great