coolant temperature sensor

Eagle - thanks for straighting out the confusion with the information that defines the direction in which I go.

Hornbrod - thanks for your input on the corvette electric fan switches, the numbers crossed over to another number which is no long manufactured. That's what I need in the way of a switch, my parts house has given me some direction at how to locate this switch, so we will see what happens. I will report on the finding, just give me some time.

PS just bought a Mopar 1-83501426AC 195 degree thermostat with three gaskets for $10.95. This one has the weep hole. It says its made in AMERICA. Earlier in the day I was at Advanced Auto Parts to purchase brake hose washers, one was missing when I removed the old calipers. While I was at Advanced I asked about the thermostat. The only one that they had with a weep hole cost $15.95 and no gaskets, and it was made in CHINA. I was Glade when I went to Chrysler and supported GOVERNMENT run Motors. At least I keep some of the money at home. I thought that outsourcing our manufacturing was suppose to save us money? :yes: They lied.

I agree with hornbrod, I don't want to constantly monitor the temp gauges, so I can manually turn the radiator fan on or off based on Temperture. :brows: I live in South Florida. It's hot down here, you better have at least a two core radiator or better. This is why I needed the on or off switch for the fan, which is controlled by the TEMPERTURE of the coolant.

PS When I was at the Chrysler dealership picking up the thermostat, I asked the mechanics that were at the counter picking up parts, If they see much in the way of trouble with these old type closed system. The only response was its nothing but a problem here in South Florida. This is why I went to a open system, I just misted the fact of the bung for the switch to the radiator fan. When I was at the pull yard for other parts I saw a copper two core radiator that looked just about new, and looked a little further to noticed it was a open type system, I reacted, instead of thinking the entire project through. :oops:

So thanks for all your input

It seems there are many others having the same or similar problems.

This switch turns the fan on at approximately 215 and off around 195.

I believe this switch is going to have your aux fan running all the time, so you might as well just do as someone else suggested and connect it to a source that's switched with the ignition and forget about finding a temperature-activated switch.

I wasn't kidding. The search for THE switch to do what you need to do has been on-going in the XJ world for at least ten years. Nobody seems to have really found one that works -- right -- yet.

thanks for the info hornbrod

But I live in South Florida. You don't buy Aluminum nothing, unless its power coated, or its on a boat. These aluminum radiators would not last in lower La Florida. Our Airconditioner units meaning the condensor will rot and turn to white powder in a short time if they are aluminum. Everything down here is copper, copper rain gudders, copper drip edge for the roof, copper light fixtures if the are on the outside of the building. Anything Aluminum won't last if you are within a mile of the beach. Everything that is aluminum will rot out in half the time as copper. We have salt in our air, and you have it on the streets in the winter. Just look under your truck, you get the picture now. :chillin:

We have salt in our air, and you have it on the streets in the winter. Just look under your truck, you get the picture now. :chillin:

No sheite, I live just up the road from you. Not only Vettes have alum rads, but many many late model everything do. I guess they are all dying in S. FL. No, I don't get the picture mate. IB done with you... :nuts:

• 2 years later...

:idea: I use a "Flex-o-lite" pusher ( aux. fan ) with a thermo-couple (inserted into the rad fins ) and adjustable temp.control wired direct thru a relay to the battery . The system has worked flawlessly for 3 years . :thumbsup: