removing disk brake rotor 2wd

Iv'e got everything off, the caliper, pads etc. There is a big nut that holds the rotor on....neither one will budge. I even put the tire back on, and lowered it down so the rotor can't rotate. Also I don't have a socket that big. Does anyone know what size socket it needs? 1 1/18" is too small, I bought a 1 1/2", that was to big. Iv'e been to the parts store a million times. Is there some kind of trick to getting this nut off??? It's a 2wd Commanche with the "2 piece" rotors...the studs are part of the rotor. Thanks

You say it's a '2 piece' rotor?? A 2wd should be a 'one piece', Hub and rotor combo. The 4wd has the 2 piece, separate hub and rotor that slides over the hub/wheel studs.

It's been some time since I've pulled a 2wd apart........But I'm thinking it's 28mm nut ( 1-1/16"):hmm:

For a 2wd, it should not be on that tight, only 21 ft lbs, and backed off 1/2 turn and most times you can get it off with a pair of channel locks. Over tighten, it puts added wear on the axle bearings.

4wd the hub nut is 175 ft lbs.

Some of the 2WD XJs and MJs used a standard, passenger car type front spindle and a one-piece hub/rotor. Other years (and I still haven't taken the time to figure out which years) the 2WD vehicles used the same hub/bearing unit as the 4WD and have a stub shaft going through to hold everything together. Sounds like that's what this vehicle is. The socket should be a 36mm.

BUT ... the hub doesn't hold the rotor on. If this truck has the 4WD style hub/rotor, the rotor is a separate piece that should pop right off once the caliper has been moved out of the way. The axle nut only holds the hub in place, not the rotor.

Reference: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19601

Some of the 2WD XJs and MJs used a standard, passenger car type front spindle and a one-piece hub/rotor. Other years (and I still haven't taken the time to figure out which years) the 2WD vehicles used the same hub/bearing unit as the 4WD and have a stub shaft going through to hold everything together. Sounds like that's what this vehicle is. The socket should be a 36mm.

BUT ... the hub doesn't hold the rotor on. If this truck has the 4WD style hub/rotor, the rotor is a separate piece that should pop right off once the caliper has been moved out of the way. The axle nut only holds the hub in place, not the rotor.

Reference: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19601

I seem to remember the 2WD/4WD rotors were standardized in 1993 (or 1994) and up. But for sure, the MJs thru 1992 used the one piece hub/rotor. I'm using 92 hub/rotors on my 91 2WD.

To the OP: What year is your rig, or did I miss it?

I seem to remember the 2WD/4WD rotors were standardized in 1993 (or 1994) and up. But for sure, the MJs thru 1992 used the one piece hub/rotor. I'm using 92 hub/rotors on my 91 2WD.

If it's the one-piece (as shown in the photo in the link I provided), the spindle nut isn't torqued on. It has to be tightened and then backed off slightly to allow the bearings to operate properly. As someone already posted, you should be able to remove that nut with a Channel-Lock plier. Did you remove the cotter pin through it? After the nut is correctly set, there's a sheet metal castle-nut retainer that fits over it and is locked in position by a cotter pin. Maybe you already know this, but I mention it because on this here Internet we have no way of knowing your level of experience.

I Checked a '93 XJ 2wd axle I got laying in the shop, and it is the 2 piece rotor / hub as your explaining Mr. Hornbrod.

I also mic'ed the nut, and that one was 32mm :hmm:

Sorry, I usually forget to include at least ONE valuable piece of info :eek: It's an 86 2WD Comcanche. I finally got the socket from a friend...it's a 36MM BTW, took off the nut, and the rotor was still stuck on there. Whacked it a couple times with a hammer, and it came loose.....except I didn't need to remove the nut...the rotor popped off without the studs. They are mounted on a little hub that stays on the axle. Yes it is 2WD, and yes the rotor came off without the studs. I went back to the parts store (we're on a first name basis now) and exchanged the rotors with the studs attached, for the ones with no studs. The girl even said the one's I was returning come up as the correct ones for my truck :shake: well this is what I took off my truck so I'll take the other ones. They popped right on. I have pics, but having issues with transfering them so I can post. I'll post pics when I get the pics.

Here are the pics;

this is what I took off the truck

this is what is "supposed" to fit the 2WD

this is what was there when I took off the rotor

this is what removed the nut I didn't need to remove

As far as I know, a friend of mine bought this truck as a "salvage title" from a junk yard. There was only one previous owner who he was able to track down. The guy junked it because he ran it after overheating, and warped the head. My friend had the head planed & fixed the problem. I don't think the original owner would even know how to change the axle, there is also no evedence that the truck was ever a 4WD...everything in the cab etc. looks OEM. Would there be any other reason to change the axle? From all that I hear, 86 Comanches seem to be different animals than all the years following, maybe that's what it is????

Hard to say what happen to that MJ over the past 23 years :hmm:

From your history on it, the JY might have swapped the front axle, the original owner might have had a problem with the original axle and had a local garage change it out :dunno:

The main thing is.......you got the problem worked out :D

Now you just need to make a note on what parts are for the front axle, and tattoo it to the glove box for the next time, and move on to the next thing ;)

Its been a while since I took mine off, but I think my 87 4x2 has what they gave you to fit your 86. :hmm: I am almost positive it has the original front everything. My recollection is from it having the bearing nut like all the old gm stuff that you back off a little and is either a castle nut or has that sheet metal castle cover.

Ummmm, well no the problem is ongoing :mad: I can't get the caliper to open to put it back on, stripped the bleeder nut...WITH VICEGRIPS...really clamped down :eek: It was a really bad weekend. I made 9 trips to 2 parts stores from beggining to end. A buddy at work used to be a mechanic, I'm going to have him help me finish. :wall:

If you can't get the caliper piston to bottom out, did you take the cap off the master cyl and remove some brake fluid????

The bleeder just might be "rust welded" to the caliper, some times........a little heat from a propane torch will help :brows:

Bleeder screws are replaceable.

The front axle has not been swapped out like everyone who are misinformed are telling you. The 1986 Comanche 2wd could have either the 1 piece rotor and hub setup or the 2 piece rotor and hub setup. My 1986 Comanche 2wd has the same 2 piece rotor and hub setup that yours has. My 1986 Jeep Comanche factory parts manual shows both setups available on the 1986 Comanche 2wd. I do not know about the 1987 and up Comanche 2wds though. Also when you go look up parts for your truck on Autozone or any other auto parts website they list both setups for the 1986 Comanche 2wd, so you have to know what setup you have. You got the wrong rotor from the auto parts, take it back and get the correct rotor for the truck. I hope this info helps.

All better, a guy from work came by tonight with a huge C clamp, and compresed the caliper, he also showed me how I could have loosened it, then pried it with a big screwdriver before removing it to compress it. All in all it was just an ID10T operator error. :doh: Thanx for all the advice and info :cheers: It stops REAL good now.