throwing ideas

mj_lover

well, if you read my mj is sad post, you will know i have one somewhat alive mj, and one less alive mj. the less alive is my pay truck, big motor, diesel preferably, and fullsize axles. i was thinking maby making it into a go anywhere camper? and ideas?

any other random and cool ideas?

go nuts guys!

(pics on the way..)

There's a 4cyl cummins diesel that would fit. The liberty CRD, which is seriosuly rare. And a bunch of tractor diesels and some random import ones. I guess there's also the stocker 2.1L renault diesel, or whatever it is. That's why there's very few diesel cherokees/wranglers.

It's been discussed a lot, but very little action, it's just not worth it.

What I think you should do:

Track down a 4x4 77-78 F-250 with plow package or camper special. It has a kingpin HPD60 front, and a D60 rear (I think, it might have a 70). Borrow those axles, sell of remains of truck. You'll break even there easy. Now, build a real frame for your MJ, unibodies do aid flex, but eventually that gets old. Cut off your cab and anything else you want to save, attach to frame. Build an exocage, or internal cage. Add axle combination, a SBC/BBC with a NV4500 (I think that's the model number, I don't dream about things I could never afford) a NP205 doubler with a 4:1 gearset in it, and a NP205 case with the stock gearset. Nice option of gear range, and not very expensive if you're into junkyarding. Do a proper 4-link setup for the rear, and go 1/4 eliptical (humble opinon, cost verus reward). Make some long arms for the front, or just go leafs with traction bars. Only part of the camper idea I'd keep is an OBHT (on board hot tub) just because I think it would kickass to be able to sit in a hottub 500km from the nearest human being and watch the stars. Real men sleep on the ground.

I missed lots, but you get the point. I could even tell you a more cost limited buildup based on that, which I dream about doing but am entirely limited by time and ability.

Failing all that, paint the sucker hot pink, get some neons and cruise the import scene. Just never come back here if you do that.

If I was going to do a total build on a MJ, it would start with a 4.3v-6 or similar size motor, go to a Modified turbo 350, with a np203, with a 205 doubler. For axles I would go with the tried and true d60 and 14 bolt, geared to 5.13. For body tube bed and full exo cage, with an internal cage for protection.

Expect a project like this to take yrs, and cause at least one threatened divorce, and one near bankruptcy.

Patrick

Expect a project like this to take yrs, and cause at least one threatened divorce, and one near bankruptcy.

time oisn't a big deal, single as a tomato growing in the desert! safe there..

thanks guys keep them coming!! i think a hot pink mj with neons on 42's would be nice :D

Does anyone realize how incredibly heavy a 60/70/14 is? :shock: Tire size (and engine power) should be the determining factor in axle selection. You can build your rig on Dana 44s or 9inchers and save a ton of weight. Well, not literally a ton, but several hundred pounds none the less. I've got the high-pinion 44 front, 9inch rear and the next step in my buildup involves lower gears, selectable lockers, high pinion 3rd member and if I ever really want to run something bigger than 36s, alloy shafts all around. It's hard to cool big motors in our trucks so keep the engine reasonable and build everything to handle both it and the tires. Overkill isn't cool when you can't get your truck out of a stuck because it weighs too dang much. In my view, one of the MJ's biggest plusses is being small, but not too small.

Jeep on!

--Pete

budget is good..wieght is good..keep it coming guys!, alas i can't start right away, in the research stage. right now there is a d44 in the rear, butr i want the width of a fullsize, as most of the trails here have been chewed up good by one certain moron..my buddies yj, with 31's can't get thru if its wet.

keep it coming uys!

You don't need a big honking motor to turn big tires, you just need low end torque and gears. Look how many comp buggies are running 4 bangers and 6 poppers :shock: Personally I just moved up to 35's, and I plan on going to 37's when money and I build my other axles.

Patrick

budget is good..wieght is good..keep it coming guys!, alas i can't start right away, in the research stage. right now there is a d44 in the rear, butr i want the width of a fullsize, as most of the trails here have been chewed up good by one certain moron..my buddies yj, with 31's can't get thru if its wet.

keep it coming uys!

Dibbs on the 44!!

Dibbs on the 44!!

hahaha, sorry mate, its going in the other one, why keep a turdy 5 if you don't have to...unless your planing on feeding me, then we might have a deal.. :P

on the little motor thing, a carbed 350 is is easy to set up and run, and very comon and cheap. agreed a light motor would help with the wieght, but it gets more expencive, as adaptors are needed, with a 350, there are no pricy bellhousings needed to bolt up a solid tranny, like a 4500, or some other big lump of gears, but thatnks for shooting..brain kicked, is the 4.3L crabed?

Dibbs on the 44!!

hahaha, sorry mate, its going in the other one, why keep a turdy 5 if you don't have to...unless your planing on feeding me, then we might have a deal.. :P

on the little motor thing, a carbed 350 is is easy to set up and run, and very comon and cheap. agreed a light motor would help with the wieght, but it gets more expencive, as adaptors are needed, with a 350, there are no pricy bellhousings needed to bolt up a solid tranny, like a 4500, or some other big lump of gears, but thatnks for shooting..brain kicked, is the 4.3L crabed?

4.3 is TPI. That's big plus, carbs aren't much fun at times. However, you can get he whole TPI system for a 350 out of a junkyard pretty easy. Chevy parts are just so plentiful and cheap.

Oh yeah, I think a 350 weighs the same as a 4.0. 4.0s aren't exactly light.

I can't find any kind of weight info on the net. Does anyone know how much a 242 weighs? It can't be light, I mean, just look at it, she's a pig :)

I don't know how much it weighs but it isn't light...then again when I pulled mine it was attached to the tranny as well....it took me and a buddy to move it...