Misc. for My 87 Comanche

I want to lift my comanche, but I don't know the best and cheapest way to do it. I have not seen that many lifts. The ones I have seen are around $500.00. I am also looking to put the a bench seat back in so that I can have my wife and 4 year old ride with me. Does anyone know where to get a good seat for a low price? I am also looking for the outter windows seals that keep the rain from getting in by the window. Where the heck do I find these?! I hope someone can help!!! :ack:

how much lift? how big of tires? what engine/trans do you have?

I'm sure there are plenty of guys that would trade their bench for your buckets. :D where are you? Make sure you get a bench that has headrests. The early years did not have them.

Thanks for the info! I have the inline 4.0L I have a 2.5" on there right now with 31x10.50 15. I was looking at the 4.5" I think it is each company has something different. I am not looking to weld and cut. I can do it I just don't have the right tools to go that far yet. :???: I can stay with the 31's or go to 32's with that size lift. I want to hang on to my buckets! I pulled those out of a comanche! They match mine perfect and they're black to boot!!!

Ok, you got me on that one! What are some good lifts to go with for somethig like a 5" lift. I have seen so many different things saying to have the rear springs rebuilt with an add a leaf and so on. I just want to find the best I can for someone with a small budget.

If you want to go for a small budget, you don't want a 5" lift. Once you get that high, you're into the territory where you NEED adjustable upper and lower control arms, adjustable track bar, extended bump stops, sway bar drop kit and extended links, ... And that's just in the front.

I respectfully think you need to define your priorities. IMHO, the goal should always be to lift as LITTLE as necessary to accomplish what you need to accomplish. Doing a 5" lift because it "looks kewl" doesn't strike me as a good approach to anything except throwing money at it ... which you apparently don't have a lot of to throw.

Thank you Eagle. Nothing on this is because it looks cool. I am all about function. I figure that if I go with the 5" it will allow me to do more and take it more places than I can now. I know that with a 6" I have to start welding and modifying. I am looking for a bolt on for now. I am looking for something that I can keep on there for awhile and use it for what I want to do. The 2.5" lift that I have on there now is not very functional for where I would like to go and how I want to use it. You can see where I am at on the Mj projects under 87 Comanche Pioneer "Little Chief". What is it that you think is functional? I am looking to have my question answered from people who are experienced and would know what is a good lift without spending alot of money for now.

Thank you Eagle. Nothing on this is because it looks cool. I am all about function. I figure that if I go with the 5" it will allow me to do more and take it more places than I can now. I know that with a 6" I have to start welding and modifying. I am looking for a bolt on for now. I am looking for something that I can keep on there for awhile and use it for what I want to do. The 2.5" lift that I have on there now is not very functional for where I would like to go and how I want to use it. You can see where I am at on the Mj projects under 87 Comanche Pioneer "Little Chief". What is it that you think is functional? I am looking to have my question answered from people who are experienced and would know what is a good lift without spending alot of money for now.

I didn't say anything about your rig isn't functional. I don't know anything about your truck other than what you posted in this thread.

I do know that you have asked for mutually exclusive criteria. I already explained why you cannot do a 5" lift for not a lot of money. But this is the Internet -- my advice is worth every cent you paid for it. Do as you wish.

Thank you Eagle. I must have misunderstood you. :oops: What I am looking for is advice on what is good. Some say a 4.5". Some say 5". Some say 3". I just want it to be functional and not extreme right now. I figured that a 5" would be a good lift. I am not real savey with these lifts yet. Can you give some advice as to what a good highth is? I am not doing any extreme crawling or wheeling just hunting and some trails is what I would like to do. I don't want to lose the handling on the road either. :cheers:

Can you give some advice as to what a good highth is? I am not doing any extreme crawling or wheeling just hunting and some trails is what I would like to do. I don't want to lose the handling on the road either. :cheers:

With that said: whats wrong with the stock height? invest your money in a good set of tires.

I'm VERY happy with a 3" lift and 31's right now. I can follow most rigs on most trails that are not hardcore, flexes well, and runs well with the same engine and gears as you. I don't really use 5th on the highway, though....

Funny your gears on the build sheet are listed as 3.08's....I always figured they would be labelled 3.07's.

I'm VERY happy with a 3" lift and 31's right now. I can follow most rigs on most trails that are not hardcore, flexes well, and runs well with the same engine and gears as you. I don't really use 5th on the highway, though....

Funny your gears on the build sheet are listed as 3.08's....I always figured they would be labelled 3.07's.

That is funny! I didn't even notice that! :hmm: Must have been a typo! I have a 2.5" right now, but it was not done right! :wall: I hardly ever use fifth gear either. I would have to be on a straight flat highway. I have been really looking at the different 3" lifts that are out there. It is nice to know what other people are using and what they like. It makes it easier when you start to see what is popular and what other views are of the different types of lifts available. Thank you for the info :thumbsup: :cheers:

The ratio number depends on which axle you're talking about. the Dana 30, Dana 35, 8.25 and Dana 44 all use their own specific tooth counts to arrive at the ~3.07 number and some would be rounded to 3.08, some to 3.07. Either one is considered acceptable. Works the same with 4.10/4.11, 3.55/3.54 etc.

The ratio number depends on which axle you're talking about. the Dana 30, Dana 35, 8.25 and Dana 44 all use their own specific tooth counts to arrive at the ~3.07 number and some would be rounded to 3.08, some to 3.07. Either one is considered acceptable. Works the same with 4.10/4.11, 3.55/3.54 etc.

What is a good gear to put in a dana 30, 35? I am running 31's right now. I don't plan on going any bigger than that for awhile. Where would I find those gears? Can I pull them out of something else? :USAflag: Also, I am new to the lingo, what is the XJ and MJ thing? Is it that the XJ is Cherokee and MJ is the Comanche? Are all cherokees XJ's and Comanche MJ? :dunce: :help: :drool: