V6 swap?

Its alot of work to make a S10 a wheeling rig. Rather not have to swap in a solid axle. I also don't like the way S10s look like. The MJ has classic body lines. I plan to swap it when I can find a donor reguardless of what it is, if its a XJ then so be it.

Ok, that was what I was after. Yeah, the 4 link solid axle setup already present does make things easier. I know you have your qualms against the 4.0L, but give it a chance if you do find one... I think you will be happy with the performance, and the reliabilty. It will leak like a sieve, the valvetrain will be loud, but it will run forever, and smile the whole way.

Rob L.

We are just trying to get your reasoning, and I beleive we got it. But you have to expect some rebuttal when you come into an all Jeep group and start knocking all that we hold dear. Yes we know that our Jeeps have SOME weaknesses, but to go off and say its all junk except for the body, and then to say that not even that is really good.... Youre just asking for it. You wanted opinions and you got them, and the ones you don't agree with get you mad..... if youre going to get mad, why bother asking. Seems that you know everything already.

Not going to get mad. I asked for opinions and got them. And I have opinions to, those seemed to make others mad. Oh well. Life goes on. And like I said if I come across a XJ I will use it. And no I know nothing when it comes to MJs/XJs. Thats why I am here. But if people can't think outside the box nothing will be done thats different. To me its not much fun to have a rig thats like everyone elses. And yes as with any truck or Jeep there are issues and weak points, but thats an opportunity to make them stronger. Another line of reasoning is why do people swap a 8.8 in? Thats taking away from the greatness of Jeep isnt it? Or is that the same reasoning I have to swap out a 2.5?

You will never get anywhere on this forum. :fool: And I fail to see how this pissing match is an anyway MJ Tech :nuts: Also the stock rear axle on our jeeps from the factory, in majority, is the dana 35. These axles usually do not hold up to the modifications we do to our rigs. The best option the dana 44 to keep everything an easy across swap is hard to come by. The 8.8 is a good alternative, because they are everywhere, and they have disk brakes(something jeep never put on a decent axle). If we can keep it jeep we do. Except in my case, but like you I wanted something alittle more unique, but unlike you I do not feel the overwhelming urge to criticise others because my opinions differ. Why would I go on a chevy s-10 forum tell everyone on there that I am buying an s-10 and switching everything to jeep, because chevy components suck. :hate banana:

See I think this is where the bickering is coming from. You're calling the 4.0 a weakness. that's a bit of a bold statement to make when the guys here would consider it a strength. The Dana 35 is a weak point. The peugeot transmission is a weak point. The sucky 3.07 gearing in a 4.0/manual is a weak point. The 4.0 is a strength. If you want to be different for difference's sake, that's fine. Nothing wrong with that. :thumbsup: But it might behoove you to not knock an engine you've never owned and is near and dear to a lot of Jeep owners' hearts. I hope you'll change you mind about leaving because we do like watching MJs get built, but try not to get all defensive after taking some heat when you call our beloved engines crappy.

Havent owned one but having been a Chrysler tech for a bit I learned a few of the problems with em. Not saying its a bad engine it has its faults like any engine. And thats where I will leave it. If I decide to post a build thread I will.

Building it for rockcrawling and some light daily driving duties.

ok, i can't hold it back, if your wanting it for rockcrawling, then that means you will be going at slow speeds, deflating tires, and trying to climb steep obstacles, which mean you want power on the low end, the 4.0 will give you that AND more over what the 4.3 will give you on the low side. a straight 6 will give you more torque over a V6, and it's sounding like that is what your wanting. ya the 4.3 seems like it has more get up and go, but that's at the higher speeds, i guarantee you hook a loaded trailer up behind both those engines and the 4.0 will run circles around the 4.3 :cheers:

How about getting an 07 up wrangler donor with the 3.8 V6 and modern manual trans... maybe even a rubicon with axles and all and swap it all over to the MJ. That way you get a V6, better drivetrain for later updates and bigger tires, and you stay Jeep. If you were a chrysler tech you should know the 3.8 is a proven engine. I'm coming up on my 4th year of being a chrysler dealer tech and have yet to see any common problems with this setup. I know its probably too late to convince you to keep coming around here, but this website really is a great resource no matter what you are building, its just that you can't have the attitiude you have and expect everyone to be happy about it. There are plenty of people here with GM drivetrains and they are "just one of the guys", happy to be here and happy to own an MJ. I know you want to be different, but in our opinions, owning an MJ to begin with IS being different no matter what you want for a drivetrain.

Not going to go through the hassle of an engine swap. Just going to spend my money and swap axles, with 5.89 gears along with a doubled up tcase. NP231 to a flipped D300 with 4:1 gears, money well spent rather than on a engine swap. Also a homebrew long arm swap is in the works, and not a traditional one either.

Not going to go through the hassle of an engine swap. Just going to spend my money and swap axles, with 5.89 gears along with a doubled up tcase. NP231 to a flipped D300 with 4:1 gears, money well spent rather than on a engine swap. Also a homebrew long arm swap is in the works, and not a traditional one either.

:banana: sounds very interesting, yes please start a build thread on yours.

Keeping the 2.5? I remember reading about someone else talking about either a member here or a member of another forum who built a rig like that with the 2.5, low gearing, and doubled.... it is supposedly a badazz rig and great crawler.... maybe someone here will know what I'm talking about. I have the 2.5 in my 87 with 342,000 miles... yeah its gutless, but what do you expect. There are a few performance options for it around, you just have to know where to look. Clifford Performance has headers and intakes for it that can either use a carb setup or their aftermarket injection, Theres a company outside of Vancouver that makes a selection of cams for it, though I can't think of their name at the moment... all my notes are in my toolbox at work. Other things that will help it are doing away with the engine driven fan and installing an electric unit, throttle body spacer, gearing (which you have covered), then the obvious port and polish, cold air intake... etc. We would love to see the build thread if you decide to stay.

the 2.5 is an awsome trail engine its really torquy and quite light my old 2wd comanche with the 2.5 and a open dana 35 could follow a 4 wd untill you got into really bad stuff where my granpys 4.0 2wd needed my jeep to make a track through anysort of deep snow so it could get out of the driveway.