got my first partridge!!!!!

freakjeep93

I'm erally freakin happy now 3 years of hunting and i got my first bird :banana: :banana: :banana: its a ruffled grouse i just got it like 20 mins ago and havnt even cleaned it , i don't know how so when dad gets home hes gunna help or show me so i can do the next one. :chillin: :D :D

What do you mean "running"? Don't your partridge have wings up there??? :rotf: :rotf: :shake:

I still remmeber my first Grouse... Flushed and shot AT many, many, birds before fineally connecting. That was a over the sholder shot thru the tree tops. I was swinging on him and shot as he dissappeared thru the linbs. I herd the crashing as he fell thru them to the ground.

I once had a beautiful high grade, High Standard 410 pump. It had beautiful walnut and deep blue bluing and I shot it very well on clays. But never could keep myself from hunting with it and NEVER did kill a bird using it. I fineally sold it just in spite fo myself. Kinda wish I had it now, its pretty rare and was in very near perfect condition.

Here is a couple hen phesantsnwe shot last season with my 1897 Winchester thumb buster pump. (I REALLY like pump guns too.)

CW

I tried to get a turkey with my F100 once. 8 turkeys went under the truck between the front wheels. 3 came out between front and rear on left side, 2 on right side, and 2 out the back. Not a single one was injured.

Coworker got a deer with the 16' box truck. Straight head shot. We had tenderloin for lunch that day :D

congrats man!!! the first bird of any kind is great, but a ruffy is special. you don't get many shots and when you do, it's a tough shot. i hunt ruffies regularly in the minnesota woods. my true love with hunting is pheasant though. i'd give up hunting everything to be able to hunt pheasants year round.

that's actually kind of funny of me to say because i do hunt them year round. with dog training i usually have 10 on hand in my pen at the club. i plant them and work the dog. sometimes i shoot and sometimes i have someone come with to shoot them while i concentrate on the dogs. i also use chuckar partridge for training. i would say that so far in '09 i've shot about 100-120 pheasants and 175-200 chuckar.

i also go quail hunting in arizona every year. i take plenty of them. of course then there's dove hunting, duck hunting, and goose hunting (not doing turkey this year). i get to shoot alot of birds, but i spend many hours a week working/training the dogs.

this weekednd (friday 1pm) is deer opener. i'll head out to deer camp early friday morning and won't be back untill the eleventh. then go back that weekend and most of the next week. i'll finish off the deer season at camp. even if we get all our deer early, i'll have the dogs and be pheasant hunting the rest of the time. i have been out about every weekend since mid september or so. i have a week or so the beginning of december that i won't hunt, otherwise it's back out until the janruary close of the season.

then i take the rest of jan and most of feb off. back at it come march. with field trials, tests, competitions, i'm out most weekends. i'm lucky the wife and kids are into it. :thumbsup:

What do you mean "running"? Don't your partridge have wings up there??? :rotf: :rotf: :shake:

I still remmeber my first Grouse... Flushed and shot AT many, many, birds before fineally connecting. That was a over the sholder shot thru the tree tops. I was swinging on him and shot as he dissappeared thru the linbs. I herd the crashing as he fell thru them to the ground.

I once had a beautiful high grade, High Standard 410 pump. It had beautiful walnut and deep blue bluing and I shot it very well on clays. But never could keep myself from hunting with it and NEVER did kill a bird using it. I fineally sold it just in spite fo myself. Kinda wish I had it now, its pretty rare and was in very near perfect condition.

Here is a couple hen phesantsnwe shot last season with my 1897 Winchester thumb buster pump. (I REALLY like pump guns too.)

so are you allowed to shoot hens there? we can only shoot hens if they are raised birds, otherwise, roosters only. i do shoot plenty of hens when training, trialing, etc.

CW

Yup, hens or cocks no difference, bang plop! :yes: :yes: :yes:

Only all our birds are stocks and although our licence's almost TRIPPLED this year, they are only stocking 2/3's the amount of birds.... :fs1: :fs1: :fs1: :fs1: Two trips out, (with dogs) resulted in one pheasant, two grouse and a couple bunnies and NONE in front of me!!! :wall: :wall: :wall:

Starting next week I'm on call and will have that Thursday and the following Tuesday off... I'll be beating the brush for the last time before our deer season opens on the 18Th.

CW

Yup, hens or cocks no difference, bang plop! :yes: :yes: :yes:

Only all our birds are stocks and although our licence's almost TRIPPLED this year, they are only stocking 2/3's the amount of birds.... :fs1: :fs1: :fs1: :fs1: Two trips out, (with dogs) resulted in one pheasant, two grouse and a couple bunnies and NONE in front of me!!! :wall: :wall: :wall:

Starting next week I'm on call and will have that Thursday and the following Tuesday off... I'll be beating the brush for the last time before our deer season opens on the 18Th.

CW

man! if we could shoot hens there wouldn't be much challenge. they're all over. it's the cocks that get hard to find. they hold tight or run. thank god for good dogs though. i usually get my limit each time i go out (2 cocks in mn and 3 in nd). it's been tough this year though because it's been so cold and wet. farmers haven't been able to get the crops off yet so all the birds are in the crops. can only hunt crops if the farmer ok's it and right now, most don't want you to because they're looking at bad crops the way it is. you can usually walk corn, most farmers will let you, but the huge fields of corn make that pretty tough to get birds.

i'll be pheasant hunting while at deer camp from friday through next week. should be a good time. shoot a deer in the morning, then pheasant hunt, then shoot a couple geese and a couple ducks. makes for a fun day! i love hunting!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: