86 Comanche Resurrection "COMANCHIAPET"

went and had a look at my new comanche truck today. i will tow it home tomorrow...

it appears to be a 86

v-6 is D.O.A.

5 speed something

hp 30

rear axle has a round cover ??

long box

a little body damage, no rust.

good interior

will post up some pix tomorrow i hope.

if you guys can fill in the blanks above i would appreciate it!

thanks! tim :)

Good luck with the purchase!

The "round cover" diff could be an AMC20... Available in 1986. Possibly a Dana 35. The 5 speed is most likely an AX5 which can also be found behind the 2.5L... The 2.5L and the 2.8 V6 actually have the same bellhousing pattern. If you have a V6, it is the GM sourced 60 degree 2.8L V6. A GM 3.4L V6 out of a camaro is a direct bolt in replacement. A 4.0L swap is a little tough, as your hood and fenders are shorter than later models. It will work, but you will have to "massage" the firewall.

Any more questions? Where's your background?

Rob L.

i was thinking it looked just like a 20. if I'm thinking right, they are a nice step up from a dana 35...

the tranny resembled an ax-15 or 5. i was happy to not see a peugot under there...

one of the things i want to do is update the front sheetmetal. a 4.0 swap and aw4 are also in the running for the drive train. i had not even thought about a v-6, i will look more into this as a option.

thanks for the info! keep it coming if there is any more :)

what do you mean background? like a profile? :waving:

I was thinking more of a job/skills background...Vehicle background... But we always like it when people put the specs of their trucks in the signature, which can be accessed via the user control panel tab on the top right of the page. Yep, if you wanted to keep all your wiring and plumbing, a 3.4L v6 would be the way to go. If you go 4.0L, the ENTIRE wiring harness will have to be swapped in.

Rob L. :thumbsup:

My MJ has a threaded plug in the Dana 35, almost threw me for a loop as I was used to seeing a rubber plug in a TJ D35.

this is definitly not a dana 35 :chillin:

added a link to my webpage in my signature too...

my background has all been in tjs. i have been into mine since they first appeared 13 years ago. i had a yj before that... the tj has been through 5 suspensions, and many other phases. recent activity was an aw-4 swap, a few years ago i did an 8.8 swap. they both have been heavily documented. we spend a chunk of every spring in moab utah and the rest of the time in the northwest.

i live for the wrench and like to weld and shape metal in an amaturish manner (i say) others seem to like my work. have pretty much every man tool a shop needs crammed into my 2 car garage. have dabbled in automotive paint but not spent too much time with body work. i am eager to get into this too...

a recent hobby has reared its head and taken me so strongly that i had forgotten all about my tj for two months... started playing acoustic guitar on july 22nd and havent seen the tv since. picked up a nice 300 series taylor D3 and can't put it down without some effort. i now have to make myself do other things cause nothing is getting done around here.... :rotf:

the job... i make steam and power for a paper mill.

what else?? um.... well next summer i turn 40...

check out my wee little website and check out the tj. it is extremely well built all by me. a nice little sleeper.

here come som pix of the new project...

new project that i drug home today :banana:

Image Not Found

1986 xls v6 4wd command trac, ax5, amc 20, hp d30

Image Not Found

my father inlaw came to help me apprehend it today.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

rigged some snazzy tow lights

Image Not Found

made some tow bar mounts as well

Image Not Found

here it is behind the mighty CTD

Image Not Found

it came with baggage........

there ya go! now i just need to find a newer xj to exploit and cannibalize

Well thars ya problem, dem there commannchee's didn't not have a reer mount engine...

:D

Looks good, Looks like you are still going to 4.0L convert it?

Rob L.

hahaha!

actually the 2.8s work better back there! :clapping:

i want to find more about the 3.4 swap, 4.0 swap and possibly the 4.6 vortec swap.

this shing is going to get gutted so no worries wth wires and harness'. not skeered of wires. i actually had to build a harness so my aw4 could talk to my tj's brain...

got the bumpers off today and erased all the wiring sins of the electrician who owned the truck before me. i removed all the romex he had strung around the cab and engine compartment.... :roll:

tomorrow i want to start gutting the interior... so far not one speck of rust!

got the bumpers off today and erased all the wiring sins of the electrician who owned the truck before me. i removed all the romex he had strung around the cab and engine compartment.... :roll:

Why is it that all previous owners think they are electrical engineers :roll: :fs1:

Nice project :thumbsup:

-Gary

Why is it that all previous owners think they are electrical engineers :roll: :fs1:

Nice project :thumbsup:

-Gary

75% of electrical engineers can't wire something up, but they'll give you a hell of a drawing of how it's SUPPOSED to go together ;)

Sorry to all of the electrical engineers on here that took offense to my comment (I promise you're in the 25% I didn't talk of!).

75% of electrical engineers can't wire something up, but they'll give you a hell of a drawing of how it's SUPPOSED to go together ;)

Sorry to all of the electrical engineers on here that took offense to my comment (I promise you're in the 25% I didn't talk of!).

:rotfl2:

So true!

• 2 weeks later...

update:

pulled the interior today and found a lake under the passenger side rug but the drivers side had a little rust which does not look too bad at all.

drivers side = dry... some rust but not bad...

passenger side = zero rust... lake sacajawea...

where does the water come from? :dunno: when i rip the dash out i bet i find it :yes:

I wish i could pull up the carpet of my projects and not find rust...I'm lucky if i doont see my own feet. haha.

I like the thought of the Camaro V-6 swap, don't see that too often, but the 4.0 is an awesome motor, 285k on mine and stillr uns like a top. :clapping:

• 2 months later...