d-rings

mine ar 3/8" and I feel that they are too small.

I'd much rather have 1/2 or even 7/8"

What I've got are more than strong enough to take a straight pull, but they bend if pull sideways.

Make sure you find a good way to mount them to the frame. Are these front or rear?

When I did the front bumper for a buddy, we did a couple different techniques to ensure it was strong. This was on a square tube bumper.

- We welded it on the front of the bumper

-We also welded it on the back of the bumper

- And while I was at work drilling out the 1" hole through the 1" thick stock, I also milled a 1/2" x 1" square hole towards the end of the stock. This meant, that when the stock was slide into the bumper and welded, the square hole was flush with the back of the bumper. I then slide in a piece of 1/2" x1" bar that was about 3" long through the hole and welded that to the back of the bumper as well.

So this meant that all the force was not being directly applied to the welds around the hole, but also 1" on either side through the flat bar welded to the back of the bumper.

He did some major pulls on the those d-rings and not ths lightest bit of defflection after a number of years.

HTH

Ryan

the way i was gonna do it is run it from the frame thru the bumper

That is also a good way... Say if you do 1/4" plate steel as far back along the frame as possible and grab as many bolts as you can. They you can weld the d-ring hitch to the side of the plate and the back of the bumper, and the front of the bumper and you'll be very strong..

My current plan for my front bumper, is to use 2-1/2" squre hitch stock in the same was as I described above on both frame horns. Then I will have the option of sliding in a D-ring hitch receiver, on either side, or slide in my front tow-bar. Just in case it needs to be towed somewhere... I wouldalso haev the option of using my ball hitch to make it easier for parking my trailer and what not...

HTH

Ryan

if this is for the rear then that's the easiest way.

Mine run back into the stock mounts that have been cut.

A total of 4 1/2" bolts hold the bracket to the frame, and then the bumper bolts to those using another 4 1/2" bolts.

That makes for 8 bolts into the rear frame rails. All my crappy weld on the bumper has to hold is the weight of the channel, all recovery forces go straight to the frame.

IT had rock rails down the side when I first built it for my rig :D and they stood up to some really hard hits :driving: and it is flush with the rear of the rig. The only thing I wish I would have done differently is the way I mounted the reciever. But...its not mine anymore ;)

I am an hour South of Richmond VA.

The bumper was built using the stock bumper mounts, just slightly moddified :teehee: Between the frame mounts is a piece of 4x4x3/16 angle for added stiffness. then it is all welded to 2x4x1/4 "C" channel. Down the sides there was 2x4x1/4 tubing, but Jeff decided he didn't want to cut his rig up that much to mount it like that, so he had me cut that part off when he came to pick it up.

It was designed to sit flush with the tailgate.