Replacing water pump

I have read (in the instructions)that the manufacturer of my new water pump AND my timing chain gear set that replacing the oil pan seal is REQUIRED when either of the two (water pump or timing chain) is replaced.

BUT

In the box with the timing chain cover gaskets is a partial oil pan gasket (just the front edge of the pan). I recently replaced the entire oil pan gasket with a fel pro rubber/steel core gasket, and would rather not have to take the entire pan out again :no: .

Can anyone advise what they did on this work? If you did the work, did you use the partial or drop the whole pan? Can I carefully seperate the timing chain cover from the existing gasket and re-use it?

Thanks

Jake

The bottom of the timing cover does seal against the oil pan, although if you used the one-piece oil pan gasket, you won't need that partial piece that came with the timing set.

I think as long as you reapply some RTV where the two seals meet you should be ok.

I don't know where they get that you have to re-do the oil pan if you're just changing the water pump. They've got nothing to do with each other. :nuts:

Hopefully somebody else will chime in... I just re-sealed a motor with the rubber oil pan gasket and a felt timing cover gasket, and I may need to pull the timing cover if I can't get this thing to start..

The bottom of the timing cover does seal against the oil pan, although if you used the one-piece oil pan gasket, you won't need that partial piece that came with the timing set.

I think as long as you reapply some RTV where the two seals meet you should be ok.

I don't know where they get that you have to re-do the oil pan if you're just changing the water pump. They've got nothing to do with each other. :nuts:

Hopefully somebody else will chime in... I just re-sealed a motor with the rubber oil pan gasket and a felt timing cover gasket, and I may need to pull the timing cover if I can't get this thing to start..

:agree:

Mr. Geonovast is spot on with this :thumbsup:

The one piece oil pan gasket is meant to replace the 4 piece OEM gasket, and one of the the 4 pieces is the timing cover bottom piece. Just some RTV mainly in the "corners" is all thats needed.

Don't understand the water pump / oil pan connection :hmm:

Maybe the translation from Chinese to English got a little mixed up :dunno:

Thanks for all the replies.

After further reading of the instructions that came with the water pump, it appears they included both the water pump gasket and a front oil seal (Crank). The instructions do not mention the front oil seal, but I believe the reason they reference the oil pan gasket is they believe you have to take the timing cover off to replace the front oil seal (although you can replace it without taking it off) and want you to do the pan gasket as well. :dunno:

Like Wildman said, its all very confusing when translated from chinese to english!