Unknown cable under dash

I had to pull the dash to get the truck prepped for the wiring harness install that I am hopefully going to be doing soon. After I got the dash out, I found this cable just kind of pushed up behind the steering column.

wtf_01.jpg

wtf_02.jpg

I asked a few guys here at the office what they thought it might be. As far as any of them can tell, it is an old column shift cable. Is this correct? It wasn't connected, so I figure I'm just going to pull it all out.

Looks like the transmission to ignition safety lock. I can't remember for sure how it works - only allows shifting out of park if the ignition is in the on position or maybe only allows the key to turn if the transmission is in park or neutral...something like that. :hmm:

Willy

wtf_02.jpg

Mine is connected. I thought about trying to disco mine but didn't want to break the little black tab that slides over the ball.

Also, the metal piece that is the 'L' shape slides up underneather that connecter when you turn the ignition to 'ON'.

Have you had any problems with starting/driving your MJ before you found this cable?

None related to shifting...its a manual (AX15) :cheers:

Looks like the transmission to ignition safety lock. I can't remember for sure how it works - only allows shifting out of park if the ignition is in the on position or maybe only allows the key to turn if the transmission is in park or neutral...something like that. :hmm:

Willy

So I should assume the AX15 was swapped in to the truck by the PO, and this part is no longer needed?

So I should assume the AX15 was swapped in to the truck by the PO, and this part is no longer needed?

That is quite possible. But, I would also think it is just as possible that Jeep could have installed that on all vehicles and only connected it to those with automatics.

Willy

It's just as(if not moreso) likely that the steering column from an automatic was swapped in as well. IIRC one of the digits in the VIN specifies if it was an auto or manual

Willy is correct, it is a ignition lock cable that goes from the column to the floor shifter. I can't tell whether your truck had an auto trans and a floor shifter, but that cable is for keeping the vehicle from starting unless the floor shifter is in Park or Neutral.

You would only need it if you went back to an aw4 and a floor shifter.

Having said that....wanna get rid of it? :brows:

PS: if you ever experience the key switch not operating properly, the first culprit should be assumed to be that little rod this cable was attached to in your picture (up by the shroud on the steering column). If you ever decide to tear into your column, I would remove that rod.

but that cable is for keeping the vehicle from starting unless the floor shifter is in Park or Neutral.

The NSS (Neutral Safety Switch) on the right side of the auto tranny preforms that service.

That cable "locks" the automatic floor shifter into the park position as a "anti-thief" device, to keep from moving the shifter out of Park with out the key in the ignition and "on"

If you "now" have a manual transmission, that cable in not needed, you'll find the other end under the carpet, just in front of the floor shifter, towards the firewall.

but that cable is for keeping the vehicle from starting unless the floor shifter is in Park or Neutral.

The NSS (Neutral Safety Switch) on the right side of the auto tranny preforms that service.

That cable "locks" the automatic floor shifter into the park position as a "anti-thief" device, to keep from moving the shifter out of Park with out the key in the ignition and "on"

If you "now" have a manual transmission, that cable in not needed, you'll find the other end under the carpet, just in front of the floor shifter, towards the firewall.

Bob is correct...I got ahead of myself in my description.

• 1 month later...

wtf_02.jpg

So now that I sent that cable to Akula (did you get it??? you never said anything to me) I'm having trouble taking the key out when I turn the ignition back.

Is there anything I can do besides taking the steering column apart and removing this part?

Not getting hung up at all now. I think it was getting hung up before I disconnected it and sent it to you :D

In all reality, I'm betting the cable being connected was keeping it from extending the entire way when the key was inserted.

I'm going to :

1.) Remove the steering wheel and fix the problem completely

2.) Use a zip-tie and keep it in check.

I'm ready to drive the heep, so it is going to get fixed this weekend, one way or another.