rear shackle length?

I need to get another inch or two in the back of my truck. It looks like it just has a SOA in the back but I'm not sure what the stock leaf pack looked like to tell if it has a leaf added. Anyway I was wondering what the bolt to bolt length is on the stock shackles that came on these trucks. I figured I could go from there and maybe get some longer greasable shackles? any other ideas with the information provided?

I did a quick search, here's a good post:

Wow! Busted the main leaf right off!

Are the mounts and shackle still good?

IN TWO PLACES!!! WOW!!! Glad to hear everyone is OK!!!

Stock shackles are tin/thin junk, upgrade these as well. I suggest JKS 1.5" lift XJ units. I don't know if you know this, but The XJ has 3.5" long shackles while the MJ's are closer to 5.5" so a 1.5" lift XJ shackle is about the same length as a stock MJ shackle. They are WAY stout and good looking to boot!!

CW

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18243&hilit=shackle+long

Rob L.

My searching didn't retrieve that post. So something like this http://www.xtremeterrain.com/shackles-xj-15extendedgreasablepair.aspx would get me back to stock? Is there not an aftermarket shackle that will lift an MJ 2 inches? What other options do I have?

Edit: Will these do the trick? http://www.xtremeterrain.com/shackles-xj-15extendedgreasablepair.aspx

The stock MJ shackle is already on LONG SOB. It hard to make it even longer. I have heard the chevy drop shackles are pretty long here's my search.

If you want to go shackles, you can get a set of Chevy drop shackles on eBay for $40-50 new, and they usually have two mounting postions. One will give you about 2" of lift, the other about 1". If you buy aftermarket shackles that are for Jeeps, remember that XJ rear shackles are shorter than MJ's, therefore the advertised lift will be about 1/2 that on an MJ.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16947&p=171818&hilit=chevy+drop+shackle#p171818

It helps when your life is the CC. I have a mental picture of what i need to search. I hope this helps you out.

Rob L.

Sorry my digital camera met a somewhat undignified death as it fell out of my truck into a stream. Anyway appears to be a SOA with an add a leaf. Shackles appear to be factory, or equally aged with the rest of the truck. I do not want blocks, but do I add the s-10 leafs to get the lift I want and still have good flex?

The truck is at home but it looks alot like what I am seeing on this guys truck. Only actually mine doesn't seem to have as much arch between the lower leaf and the next to bottom leaf.

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/view ... =2&t=18273

That's not a great picture to compare to. He is missing the shackles which forces the spring to have more arch just to bolt it in.

Willy

Yeah I see that now, it was the best I could come up with short term. So then if my leaf pack looked like that (only with shackles) would an AAL be the best bang for the buck or just destroy my current leaf pack. FYI I wouldn't mind if the rear suspension was alittle stiffer as far as to haul my gear around and not sag, but also not give up to much articulation.

Comanches where I am at seem to be a rare item, let alone getting lucky with the metric ton springs. I guess I need to start checking the fence lines out in the sticks. My dream come true would be to happen upon an mj with a solid body and drivetrain only (to cheapen it up) with the 44 and metric springs. Also what are the tell tale signs of a metric ton MJ?

non-metric ton MJs have three main leafs and one thick overload. How many leafs do you have? You should get an inch from adding in another main leaf under your current one. As an added benefit it'll help combat springwrap. I'm guessign that an S-10 or Explorer main leaf would accomplish the same. But without a pic of your leafs, it's hard to say.

I personally would add another junk yard leaf, either a Comanche main leaf with the eyes cut off, or an S10 or Exploder one, but an add-a-leaf would work too. Be sure to use a new center pin, and you should use new u-bolts as well. Neither of these should be used more than once.

Also the load sensing level is horizontal in the wrong direction.

According to Haynes:

Rear leaf spring

-Front and rear mounting bolts - 109 ft-lbs.

Since the front frame to spring bolt, rear frame to shackle bolt and rear shackle to spring bolt are all the same, I assume that number covers all three of them.