Power/Comfort Switch?

Controls the shift points of the transmission. Shifts at lower RPMs in comfort mode. Comfort is essentially useless, if you ever find yourself with one, just leave it in Power mode. Comfort doesn't save you any gas, trans doesn't like it, and it'll just piss off the people behind you.

Controls the shift points of the transmission. Shifts at lower RPMs in comfort mode. Comfort is essentially useless, if you ever find yourself with one, just leave it in Power mode. Comfort doesn't save you any gas, trans doesn't like it, and it'll just piss off the people behind you.

man, i beg to differ!

i like my shift-points low, thats how you get gas mileage.. i can't STAND riding in a later cherokee, the darned things don't shift til like 2500 rpm even with minimal throttle input.

the 90 my brother owned shifted like butter in comfort mode and usually stayed there, it was the nicest shifting auto-4.0 i've ever been in.

The AW4 POWER/COMFORT switch was dumped in 1992 (although there may be some holdovers :D ). My 91 still has it. I've done several tankfuls in both positions and the POWER position netted a solid 1-2 improvement in MPG, as well as crisper shifting and less searching for 3rd/OD gears at the 2000 RPM range when going uphill. After 1992 the switch was dumped and the POWER position was hardwired into the harness.

The Renix engines like low rpms and can get excellent mileage that way. On stock tires I used to get 24mpg going 60 down the highway.

HO engines like to rev higher. My 94 XJ gets better mileage at 75 than it does at 60.

So for a Renix 4.0, the switch makes sense. For a HO, it's useless.

The Renix engines like low rpms and can get excellent mileage that way. On stock tires I used to get 24mpg going 60 down the highway.

HO engines like to rev higher. My 94 XJ gets better mileage at 75 than it does at 60.

So for a Renix 4.0, the switch makes sense. For a HO, it's useless.

i'll buy that, sounds plausible.