8.8 conversion question

now I'm getting more confused, on my XJ with my 32x11.50.15 the stock (wrangler) rims tires rubbed inside, I put in a 3/4 wheel spacer and no more rubbing.

That's correct. You essentially gave the rims less backspace, moving them further away from the body/axle.

ok I get it now after a couple cups of coffee to wake up lol.

The rear axle I plan on sinking $500.00 to $1,000.00 dependeing on the locker I choose.

A grand?! If you're looking to sink that much cash into it, why not hunt down an MJ/XJ Dana 44? I was thinking that you were just going to grab a stock axle and swap it in. This is a whole 'nuther ball game. (but I still wouldn't use a Dana 35)

If you are gonna spend that kind of money, go with one of these babies!!!

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=12999

Thanks that link is very helpfull.

I have been trying to locate a d44 but 15 junk yards around do not have one, so 8.8 is common to find so thats why I'm going with 8.8, if I can find a 44 when I'm ready to buy the axle I will get a 44 but other wise 8.8, also if I found an xj 44 that would go on my xj (restoring after MJ)

I don't think I'd spend a grand on an axle for an MJ I was going to run at stock height on more-or-less stock size tires. I also wouldn't go the 8,8 route, because I would want to run OEM Jeep wheels and I don't feel like spending a couple hundred more bux for structural-grade wheel spacers.

Have you considered just buying an XJ Chrysler 8-1/4" axle and moving the perches?

For a grand, I'd think you could almost have Dynatrac or some shop like that build you a new D44.

a 44 built with gears and locker is a couple grand, and no I will not buy a 8 1/4 I know people that have them and they are junk. As for stock height I have stated a few times I'm going with a 3" lift with 32x11.50x15 ( already on stock height mj), the rear axle is being replaced with a heavier duty one weather I off road or not, (plus the roads around here are almost like off roading so many dang pot holes and crappy patch jobs) I have broken my 30 and 35 on my XJ already and didnt do much off roading with that.

I knoiw people have their preference I have asked and a lot on here said 8.8 if I can't find a 44.

The grand includes complete axle rebuild bearings, shafts, gears, locker, brakes and what ever else in on or in the axle. So ya a grand seems about what I would spend between parts and labor. I am not positive on final price until I do it.

My 29 spline 8.25" is the most expensive axle I've ever built for anything.

$100 for axle

$35 for ZJ disc brakes

$15 for a 3" hole saw I didn't already have to make ZJ brakes fit on 8.25"

$56 for Ruffstuff perches and shock mounts

---------

$206 for the axle

add another ~$30 for new hardware to mount it (u bolts/washers/nuts)

$235 total under my truck and driving.

Then for Christmas add $300 plus shipping for a locker and it's still under $600.

How do you spend a grand on an 8.8? It already comes with disc brakes, saving $50, and a locker for it is only $260.

Edit: Just read your having a complete axle rebuild done. I don't see the point, but oh well.

My 29 spline 8.25" is the most expensive axle I've ever built for anything.

$100 for axle

$35 for ZJ disc brakes

$15 for a 3" hole saw I didn't already have to make ZJ brakes fit on 8.25"

$56 for Ruffstuff perches and shock mounts

---------

$206 for the axle

add another ~$30 for new hardware to mount it (u bolts/washers/nuts)

$235 total under my truck and driving.

200 axle

200-400 locker

200 bearings/seals

125-200 new brakes

200-300 gears

200 new shafts

This is all going to a shop to be done so add labor a couple hundred.

I do not have the prices yet for all the parts but from looking around online this is about what it will cost me.

So there it is a completely rebuilt axle.

The time I am putting into fixing this I am not just going to the scrap yard and tossing used parts on, I want to build this so it lasts a long time before needing any major work (except engine,tranny, transfer case),

Some of you just don't understand I hate doing things twice, if it comes off the frame it gets replaced thats the way I have always worked on cars and always will.

I am not in a rush at all to finish this if it takes me 5 yrs it takes 5 yrs. I want it to come out nice and ready to go for years.