tranny swap

All '88 5spds would be the Peugeot BA10/5, they didn't use the AX15 until mid-year '89.

The AX15 from a YJ or TJ will bolt in, but you'll likely need to change your clutch master cylinder and transfer case input shaft.

The transfer case in Wranglers are clocked higher than in the MJ, so you may need to clearance your tub above the TC, or redrill the mounting flange in the back of the tranny.

As hunter said, yes and no. An AX-15 from a TJ/YJ will bolt to the engine, but there are some differences in the back half of the transmission. I have a TJ trans in mine and had to create the transfercase shifter bracket side that bolts to the trans. Plus the tranny mount is different and the TJ/YJ trans will clock or rotate the t-case up a bit. It mean better ground clearance, but can interfere with the floor of the truck depending on how you work out the tranny mount and xcrossmember.

Then there's the issue with amost all AX-15s, spline count. Early AX-15s may have the 21 spline shaft to match your t-case, but for sure 91+ will have a 23 spline. 94.5+ will have the external slave. I simply joined my current master line to the new slave line using a $2 compression fitting from the hardware store.

Oh, and the Peugeot does NOT share bellhousing with the AX-15, so you'll need to get that with the trans.

Some good info here if you haven't read it already:

http://www.jeeptech.com/convtrans/ax15swap.html

The following chart shows how to determine which input gear you might have by transmission. It is always recommended to verify first hand if possible.

Good ol' Jeep. Always necessitating a clause or two. :D

The V6 and 4 cylinder engines share manual transmissions. The 4.0L uses different manual transmissions. Essentially they are not interchangeable. It is technically possible to use the bellhousing from a Dakota to adapt the AX-15 from a 4.0L to the 2.5L engine, but it's not exactly a straightforward swap.

so my v6 5spd tranny outta my cherokee is a no go...?

i was pretty sure if i just gut the tranny out of it and use the bellhousing out of my manche it should work, iam sure its a ba10 in the cherokee so if i just use my comanches bellhousing it should work right? i just wanna make sure bc i don't have too much money to throw around and this tranny is free from my cherokee