How do side mirrors come apart?

How do I remove the mirror from the housing? I already have the mirrors off the truck and I've removed the spring that attaches to the pin and two screws behind the mirror (I see other's I can't reach) but I can't figure out how to remove the mirror. The mirrors are XJ/MJ manual remote folding types. Thanks.

Awhile ago on NAXJA there was a post showing how to repair the gimbel inside that gets wobbly over time. The author suggested using a hair dryer to soften the adhesive, then carefully prying the glass off. I have several floppy mirrors that are in need of this repair, but I have not yet summoned sufficient courage to attack the glass with a hair dryer.

Please let us know what you find out -- whether it works, or doesn't work.

Bit of advise on the hair dryer routine. Get the glass so hot that the glue is almost like melted butter. Wear gloves or lose your fingerprints. I did this on three occassions and suceeded only on the last attempt. On the first two try's I thought it was peeling off fine with slight pressure, well, it wasn't slight enough. The glass almost has to drop off by itself when heated all over. Good luck

I just go to the JY and get a "new" one. At the Pull A Part in Atlanta mirrors are cheap and plentiful.

Around here, they all generally need to have the wobbly head repaired so a JY mirror doesn't really solve anything. Most yards won't sell a mirror off a good door, anyway, so that narrows the availability considerably. Finding an XJ or MJ with a smashed door but a good mirror ain't easy.

I just go to the JY and get a "new" one. At the Pull A Part in Atlanta mirrors are cheap and plentiful.

Around here, they all generally need to have the wobbly head repaired so a JY mirror doesn't really solve anything. Most yards won't sell a mirror off a good door, anyway, so that narrows the availability considerably. Finding an XJ or MJ with a smashed door but a good mirror ain't easy.

You gotta go to the Pull A Part yards. They are in the SE and you can pull any part you want cheap. Need a door without a mirror or glass? Pffft. Take off the mirror and pull the glass and take the door to the register. The Pull A Part folks don't help you and they don't watch you work. It's great.

www.pullapart.com

And woohoo! The South Atlanta yard has an 89 MJ on the lot. Road Trip this weekend.