Converting to 4x4

Yes it's worth it.

Converting is very easy, every part needed for it, with exception to a rear Driveshaft, can be yanked off of an XJ.

There are plenty of threads on it floating around here, you should be able to find anything you need to know, but if you're confused or can't find anything, just ask. :thumbsup:

Converting to 4x4???

...v6 4.0...

Hi Dawsonkid! Welcome to the group and the addiction. Just noticed the v6 in your post. Our Jeeps come with an "inline" 6 (or I-6) cylinder, where the pistons are in a row from front to back, unlike a "v" engine which are arranged on opposing sides in some angle of a "v"... Its a common misconception for someone to think, so no worries mate! Just trying to keep ya on track.

Common 4.3L GM "V-6"

4%203L%20FS_resiz.jpg

Our "I-6"

jeep_4l_i6.jpg

Rob L.

Thanks for the heads up Rob. Iv been on here for a little while, I'm hunting down a comanche. Its not easy, especially with the salt up here. I'm mechanically inclined, but iv never worked on a vehicle really.

What should I be paying for to convert ( we have tons of junkyards around here)

And how much is involved? Could I do it with just a jackstand in an afternoon or do I need to rent a lift for a weekend type deal?>

Any information is greatly appreciated, you guys are gods on here.

Tym

No gods here, just a bunch of addicts trying to spread the MJ disease. :D

What you should buy to convert depends largely on what you're starting with and what you want in the end. If you buy that truck we've got half the equation, what are you looking to get out of your truck in the future? Daily driver? Trail truck? Mud monster?

Take a small magnet with you to check for bondo under that fresh paint (above the rear flares, the rockers, etc). And find out who painted it and how much it was. A cheap paint job can hide lots of flaws that could crop up in as little as a year.

It's not a need a lift kind of deal, but that would make it easier. You could probably get it completely done in two weekends, or one if you've got some help.

Basic list is this, and you can get it all from XJs.

-Front Dana 30 with matching gear ratio to your rear axle.

-4wd transmission. Easiest is to just get a 4wd version of your 2wd one, but if you plan on going from auto to manual or vice versa, now is the best time.

-Transfercase with matching spline count input to your transmission's output.

-Front driveshaft with appropriate length to your engine/transmission combination.

-T-case handle, gate, bezel, and linkages.

-Longer speedometer cable if you're dealing with a Renix.

You'll also need to either

-Get your 2wd driveshaft cut down to the correct length, or

-If you're lucky you might be able to find the proper MJ shaft, but I think the first option is usually easier.

Everything's bolt on. The hole for the 4wd shifter is even already there, just has a plate over it. If you can find a complete XJ donor that's the same engine and trans you have, that would probably be the cheapest and easiest option.

:agree:

Its best, easiest, and cheapest, to find a complete donor of somesort, be it comanche (factory designated MJ) or cherokee (likewise, XJ). If you find the stuff, its really straight forward and simple. Plus, you have a 4x4 version to copy, one piece at a time.

Rob L.

Yeah I totally hear ya...I don't have access to much more then just a friends garage. Theres a fairly deserted lot at the end of my highrise aptments that I can probobly get away with doing some work on the truck at. Picking away at a cherokee could get expensive, so your right, picking up a cherokee would be ideal. Just nowhere to store it!

I live in Ontario and I'm driving 6+ Hours to take a look at this truck, thats in Quebec.

So I talked the guy down to 800 cash -

Whats the best thing to do for an inspection? Should I take it to a Jeep Service center and get it inspected, or just some joe mechanic?

I'm going to make the trip in a week and a half, when my vacation starts! I'm pumped.

PS I can post some more photos of it, if I can figure out how!

Thanks for the tips, very simple! The trucks kinda got a nasty color, but maybe its got potential- The body is in the best shape iv seen since I startec looking in april. Iv talked him down to $800 Cash, and I have " High" hopes to make this a great looking Comanche!

I'm moving to Newfoundland in November, and Need something that I can play in the snow with...this is only 2x4 for now...are the 2x4 models still any good?

Cheers!

Those are some crazy colors! I kind of like it though.

Sure looks like a great truck for only $800. Congrats!!!!

I agree with everyone else about finding a donar cherokee. If you can find a decent one with a renix (the same non-H.O. motor that is in your Jeep now) you'll even have a complete engine for spare parts.

There is a guy on here (andy_in_pa) who did an entire 4WD conversion in one day. Granted, he had help and access to a lift, but it can be done.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

No gods here, just a bunch of addicts trying to spread the MJ disease. :D

What you should buy to convert depends largely on what you're starting with and what you want in the end. If you buy that truck we've got half the equation, what are you looking to get out of your truck in the future? Daily driver? Trail truck? Mud monster?

Take a small magnet with you to check for bondo under that fresh paint (above the rear flares, the rockers, etc). And find out who painted it and how much it was. A cheap paint job can hide lots of flaws that could crop up in as little as a year.

I want something I can lift up, get decent fuel milage on, and still take off roading with no problems really. Iv got a ton to learn about components, but I'm fairly handy on the tools.

Thanks for the tip about the magnet, thats great advice. I really should ask him to pull the floor carpet up for me to see as well. I see theres alot of things to look for in these trucks, and if the mechanical and the body are both in decent shape, thats most of the battle for me!

My friends are saying to hold out for an already 4x4 comanche, and save the trouble...That makes sense, but this green MJ looks like it may be too good of a deal to pass up on.

Ugh! And the search continues..... The jerk sold it on me!

There are a few others I have in mind, but nothing local. Thanks for all the tips guys, I'm on here everyday pretty much catching up and learning alot from the other threads.

Tym

E-mail Sent!

Check this one out, I messaged them for a price as well.

http://saultstemarie.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-SUVs-trucks-vans-pickup-trucks-Good-inexpensive-little-pick-up-W0QQAdIdZ146873340

Is there any difference between an older comanche and a " newer" one as far as Power Steering goes? My 89 Mazda had no PS and I looked like Arnold after driving it for a few months...I'm hoping they all have it.

Tym