Towing Question Again....sorry....front lunchbox....?

So I have a jeep xj, with a lunchbox locker in the front....can I flat tow this, or does it have to be on the towdolly...? any help would be much appreciated...thanks.....

Sure, you can flat tow it. I know people who do it all the time. I believe the proper way is to leave the tranny in Park and put the t-case in Neutral.

So I have a jeep xj, with a lunchbox locker in the front....can I flat tow this, or does it have to be on the towdolly...? any help would be much appreciated...thanks.....

Sure, you can flat tow it. I know people who do it all the time. I believe the proper way is to leave the tranny in Park and put the t-case in Neutral.

Johnny, the TC needs to have a TRUE Neutral in order to be able to do this. Most 231s lock the front and rear drivelines together when in Neutral. Some of the 231s came with a 'true' neutral from the factory but not very common.

If one does NOT have a true neutral, one will have to install a kit like the 2LO from Tera.

To check, disconnect each driveline at the TC, and place the TC in NEUTRAL. Spin (with your hand) the rear output and if the front output spins, you do NOT have a 'true' neutral.

you might want to use a dolly turning may be dificult with the locker

if you use a hevy enuf truck you might be ok

Turning should not be affected at all. A lunch box locker is disengaged unless power is applied to it.

Willy

you might want to use a dolly turning may be difficult with the locker

if you use a heavy enuf truck you might be ok

Turning should not be affected at all. A lunch box locker is disengaged unless power is applied to it.

Willy

Power to it means from the drive shaft into the locker. I agree with him.

Pushing, pulling or just rolling, as long as you do not put power to it, you will not have any problems because of the locker.

BUT what tranny do you have as this is what can be damaged by improper towing. BEST BET ALL CASES is to remove drive shafts.

CW

you might want to use a dolly turning may be difficult with the locker

if you use a heavy enuf truck you might be ok

Willy

Power to it means from the drive shaft into the locker. I agree with him.

Pushing, pulling or just rolling, as long as you do not put power to it, you will not have any problems because of the locker.

BUT what tranny do you have as this is what can be damaged by improper towing. BEST BET ALL CASES is to remove drive shafts.

CW

He has an AW4 but it should not matter when in park.

With a proper 'true' neutral, throw the TC in it's neutral position and go. There is no need to pull the drivelines if this is the case.

I never recommend pulling both the drivelines. One should be installed in case one gets in a pickle and has to get out of a tight location/spot (backing with a flat towed vehicle just doesn't work). Also, if one does not have a SYE, one may dump fluid out the back of the TC.

Johnny, the TC needs to have a TRUE Neutral in order to be able to do this. Most 231s lock the front and rear drivelines together when in Neutral. Some of the 231s came with a 'true' neutral from the factory but not very common.

I think a 231 with a true neutral IS fairly common ... but not in an MJ. It is my understanding that some time in the mid-90s Chrysler changed the 231 (and the 242) to make the neutral into a true neutral that disengaged the driveline completely. The earlier ones worked as you describe ... they disengage the transfer case from the engine and transmission, but they lock the front and rear drive shafts together so they both spin while being towed.

I think a 231 with a true neutral IS fairly common ... but not in an MJ. It is my understanding that some time in the mid-90s Chrysler changed the 231 (and the 242) to make the neutral into a true neutral that disengaged the driveline completely. The earlier ones worked as you describe ... they disengage the transfer case from the engine and transmission, but they lock the front and rear drive shafts together so they both spin while being towed.

It most be 95+ if it is true. The ones I have rebuilt have been 94 down. Of all the ones I have done, I have only come accross one with a 'true' neutral but due to the barter system, I am unsure as to what year it was out of. :doh:

So... could you put the t-case in Neutral and remove only the front driveshaft?

Come to think if it, my t-case is from a 96. I'll have to check it out. Not that it really matters though because I don't tow it anywhere.