My Beast

New member here!! Great site! In the mid 90's my first rig was a 1986 Jeep Comanche 2wd. Had the terrible 2.8 v6!! When I bought it the only thing wrong with it was no tranny. All I could find at the time was a AX-4, so that's what went in it. The truck had 4.10 gears and at 60 mph howled something terrible. I ended up blowing the motor and my dad and I rebuilt it. I put that truck through hell and it kept coming back for more :)

Now to present day......been looking for a truck to haul a four wheeler and other various odds and ends, so I thought "What better truck to look for than a Manche!!" I found one on Craigslist and promptly bought it. 1989 2wd 4.0 shortbox, with 5-speed pukegoat. 193k on the ticker and partially torn down due to PO wanting to put a 4.0 HO in it. Got it home and started tearing into it. Pulled interior out and threw out the carpet. Only rust on the truck is a couple of small spots in the passenger floorboard. Body is in good shape. I put the a/c compressor, pulley's, alternator and starter back on. PO threw injectors out, so I found another set on ebay (didn't want to spend $ on new just in case motors isn't any good.) My plan is to run the original motor till it dies. Also bought with the truck a 97 block, 96 head, 95 intake, and a 93 Ax-15 tranny.

Sorry for the long rant....will post pics as soon as I get'em on photobucket.

I bought the truck, a 97 block, 96 head, and 95 intake, and a AX-15 tranny for $600.

So far I removed the toolbox, took out the seat and threw the carpet away. I put everything back on the motor, but still waiting on my injectors to come in. I put a new thermostat in and I'm going to replace the pressure bottle and all coolant hoses. Here's a few more pics.....

DSC01575.jpgDSC01576.jpg

DSC01577.jpgDSC01580.jpg

DSC01582.jpgDSC01585.jpg

DSC01586.jpgDSC01587.jpg

DSC01591.jpg

I bought the truck, a 97 block, 96 head, and 95 intake, and a AX-15 tranny for $600.

So far I removed the toolbox, took out the seat and threw the carpet away. I put everything back on the motor, but still waiting on my injectors to come in. I put a new thermostat in and I'm going to replace the pressure bottle and all coolant hoses. Here's a few more pics.....

DSC01575.jpgDSC01576.jpg

DSC01577.jpgDSC01580.jpg

DSC01582.jpgDSC01585.jpg

DSC01586.jpgDSC01587.jpg

DSC01591.jpg

jamminz.gif nice truck ... :popcorn: :popcorn: can wait to see more pics. on you project. i like you call the it a "pressure Bottle" which it is....lol who had that idea? ...... jamminz.gif

:clapping:" I bought the truck, a 97 block, 96 head, and 95 intake, and a AX-15 tranny for $600." :clapping: :bowdown: AX-15 tranny :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

• 2 weeks later...

All right....slapped the Jeep on a tow dolly and hauled it to the grandparents house so we could tinker with it on my vacation this week. Gramps broke out the heavy degreaser and pressure washed the entire engine compartment jamminz.gif

Put in a new distributor and the truck fired up on the first crank!!! :cheers:

Flushed the radiator and block then bypassed the heater hoses and pressure bottle so the truck would run with some fresh coolant. She purrs like a kitten :D

Tomorrow going to try to repair the pressure bottle and get new hoses put on, also the emergency brake is jacked up. I am so stoked that it fired right up, though!!

Sweet!!! Keep those Renix engines running forever. I just love a Renix. Turned down buying a couple of MJs that were not a Renix just because I wanted Renix engine in my Comanche. You have a great little truck. Keep going on your build.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...