Rear Bumper with Hitch?

Why not get a frame mounted Class 3 hitch and receiver?

Cost about $150 at most. Strong as you will EVER need. Factory tow rating is 5000 lbs with the Metric Ton Package (2 wheel drive) a total 9645 lbs GVW. 9264 with a non Metric Ton Package 4 X 4 and 7 ft box. (6ft box, 4 x 4 =9060).

Bumper hitch is WAY below that capacity.

With my Big Ton/Metric Ton package, I can carry two big people, the dog, plus 1000 lbs int the bed. All the while, towing a 5000 lbs trailer and STILL be under the GVW for the truck.

All stock comanche bumpers seem to look crooked even when in good condition. :dunno: Back in the day, I frequently towed a small trailer with the comanche on a bumper hitch. When I turned too sharp, the trailer cut into the bumper next to the ball. While I learned quickly, it only took one time to damage it.

I have a fey bumper just like WBBKrazy that is much stronger than the stock bumper and I am sure it could handle a ball very easily. You may be able to see it in photos on my signature links below. But personally, I prefer frame hitches.

Why not get a frame mounted Class 3 hitch and receiver?

Cost about $150 at most. Strong as you will EVER need. Factory tow rating is 5000 lbs with the Metric Ton Package (2 wheel drive) a total 9645 lbs GVW. 9264 with a non Metric Ton Package 4 X 4 and 7 ft box. (6ft box, 4 x 4 =9060).

Bumper hitch is WAY below that capacity.

With my Big Ton/Metric Ton package, I can carry two big people, the dog, plus 1000 lbs int the bed. All the while, towing a 5000 lbs trailer and STILL be under the GVW for the truck.

:agree:

I'd get a frame mounted receiver hitch with whatever drop you need to tow level.

Besides nothing looks more DumbA$$ than pulling a trailer with the tongue way too high.

Guess it would depend on how big your trailer is,and if you have any lift on your truck.

there should be a gross tongue weight and max pulling capacity posted on your bumper.

If your bumper is bent or has any structural issues,or if you have any doubts about it I would recommend replacing it.

the only receiver hitch I found online was this one http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-1990_Jeep_Comanche.htm

kind of pricey,but I'm sure that with a more extensive search a cheaper one could be found.

I'd only be pulling a small trailer with furniture on it, would the fey be able to handle it?

If not, where would I be able to get the class 3 for the Comanche?

I pulled a 5' x 8' trailer with a 800lbs garden tractor on a ball mounted to the factory bumper with no problems and did it throughout the summers. The Fey is stronger than the factory bumper IMO.