armour instead of cab corners?

I'm going to quote Dirty Comanche here instead of making everyone go through his whole thread:

Test fitting the new rocker/slider. Looks like it'll work... Of course I had to cut way more stuff off.

Image Not Found

More test fitting...

Image Not Found

You can see how it doesn't extend too far back. More on that later...

Image Not Found

Capping the ends.

Image Not Found

Ugh. Was still dialing in the welder (haven't welded in 2 months), then realized it was spooled with crappy wire (I lend it to a friend when I'm at work). Of course, had I looked before I started welding, this wouldn't have happened. Anyways, I ground that part out and re-welded it.

Image Not Found

I cut the front of them on a 40* angle, then capped them too. At this point I was getting a little more comfortable.

Image Not Found

Ground smooth (same with the rear). Then I RO sanded the entire thing to promote paint adhesion.

Image Not Found

Shimming it all into place for welding...

Image Not Found

Welded most of it up. Had a minor, almost major, fire in the interior. Apparently this foam lights up really easy. Considering I was welding on the other side of the A-pillar when it lit off.

Image Not Found

Welded all around the top... Ain't done, but I was sick of welding. Thick steel to thin sheet it trying of one's patience. The welds vary from decent looking to horrible. I think I'm going to put a sealer of some sort over them anyways, so nobody will really see...

Image Not Found

Is it possible to do sliders like this on a comanche?

Dunno if this helps,

but (since those pics were an XJ),

here's what a Comanche looks like without all that pesky sheetmetal in the way:

Pretty flat surface to box out.

Though you'd have to drop below the door, like the factory rocker (unless you were trimming the edge off the doors):

You'd probably make the new box-rockers long enough to just eliminate this lower sheetmetal portion of the cab corner.

Would make it tons easier to burn the box on without completely removing the cab corner (my cab corner was dents & swiss cheese, so it had to go anyway).

Well, I kinda figured two things....one, my daughteris only 5'2", and I don't think that's going to change now...figure she's done growing. So it would work as a step/running board for her, without being those stupid running boards that like to collect sand and dirt and eventually rust behind them. Two, I thought it might be easier to burn on there, instead of the finesse needed t make a nice job of the corners (i.e. more Neander-machanic type of work :D )

Hmmm....I like that title...think I'll keep it.

I'm planning to do that same kinda thing. I did it on my XJ years ago and it worked great!

I think I'm going to go higher on the MJ though. I'll have to cut and re-work the bottom of the doors, but the higher the better!

It will have to happen pretty soon too, my rockers are shot! I will post up when I do it!

If I was doing it on a rusty MJ... I'd do it how I did it on my XJ. Go nice and high, even with the old door sill. This allows the removal of a ton of metal - it solved almost all of my rust issues. What is left isn't bad enough to warrant any replacement of sheetmetal.

The MJ/XJ are basically the same in the area in question, just the corner will come out a little different. I can picture it in my head, it will be obvious when you get there.

Tying it in will be obviously different than how mine had came out. I had a plan, I just never wound up using it!

If you are doing sliders, what are you going to do about the bedside lowers? You can't tie the cab and bed areas together, and the bedside lower itself isnt that strong. And what sense does it make to make cab sliders and not continue all the way back to the rear wheel well? If you do the lower edge of the bed it would require a lot of extra reinforcing to make the area strong enough to take the abuse a slider might have to take. I am wondering about this, because I did not see any mention of it in the previous threads. Just want to make sure you are covering all of your bases here. I know it can be done, but it will take a lot more than what is being shown on the XJs. Good Luck though! It will be interesting to see how it comes out!

If you are doing sliders, what are you going to do about the bedside lowers? You can't tie the cab and bed areas together, and the bedside lower itself isnt that strong. And what sense does it make to make cab sliders and not continue all the way back to the rear wheel well? If you do the lower edge of the bed it would require a lot of extra reinforcing to make the area strong enough to take the abuse a slider might have to take. I am wondering about this, because I did not see any mention of it in the previous threads. Just want to make sure you are covering all of your bases here. I know it can be done, but it will take a lot more than what is being shown on the XJs. Good Luck though! It will be interesting to see how it comes out!

My plan with it is to cut the bed to the right height, and attach the sliders directly to the frame like your standard rock sliders. The bed won't get tied into it at all, and will still be removable. My plan is to kinda match the look of the rear quarter cut and bumper I built.

this is what i did , and no its not attached to anything from the cab back as i have not figured out what I'm gona do there yet but it hasnt possed a problem offroad yet as i have tested the drivers side on a number of things. but will eventualy get some bracing

wanted to go all the way up like dirty did but decided last minute not to :dunno: