New MJ owner, new member

Hi everyone! I am new here, been looking for an Comanche for a long time. Finally found a rusted hulk for $200. It is the Pioneer package with the 6cyl, auto and 7 ft box. I read on Allpar.com that this makes it a "metric ton" package. I also believe that it has a D44 in the rear with limited slip. Not 100% sure though. I will be checking later today and finding out the gear ratio. Now for some questions, first the left rear taillight is broken, and I can't find a replacement, is there a way to use a xj one? What about window cranks? are they specific to the MJ ? I will post pics later. As far as JEEPs go I am familiar with them as I own a lifted 98 TJ.

I'm not really sure you have the metric ton package until you can confirm that you do have a D44 under there.

As far as the tail light goes, no, the XJ ones won't fit without a good deal of fabrication. Best bet is the junkyard or ebay. The window cranks on the other hand are interchangeable.

A general rule of thumb is everything Cab forward can be interchanged with an XJ. (there are some minor exceptions, though)

Congrats on joining the comanche world though jamminz.gif

"In back, traditional leaf springs were used to increase cargo capacity, with a maximum metric ton long-bed version through 1990. The 2,205-pound or 2,240-pound (depending on sources) payload capacity was comparable to some full-sized pickups; to get there, Jeep added heavy-duty U-joints and propshaft, Dana 44 rear axle, and heavy duty brakes, among other items.

According to Bob Sheaves, Dana 44 axles used in the metric ton package were actually a hybrid axle-a semi floating design, they used a D44 ring, pinion, and differential case with smaller wheel bearings and D35C design wheel ends on the axle shafts, when compared to the earlier D44 used in the CJ. He noted that the Class 7 racing cars started out as metric-ton MJs. " This is off the allpar site. As I said I am not sure if it is or not , haven't gotten under to look yet. I was just going by what this said.

you can have a D44 and not have the metric ton package. very easy to find out......4 springs is std, 5 leaf springs is the metric ton.

:agree:

Plus........you can find them in the "Tow Package" :D

Just look for the OEM trailer hitch :brows:

you can have a D44 and not have the metric ton package. very easy to find out......4 springs is std, 5 leaf springs is the metric ton.

:agree:

Plus........you can find them in the "Tow Package" :D

Just look for the OEM trailer hitch :brows:

ahh, but that is still no guarantee. you can have the tow pkg, which DOES automatically gives you the d44, but does not give you the metric ton. that's how my truck was built. :brows:

Yeah its just a normal pioneer with a long box. It only has 4 leafs. Where did they hide the build sheets on these things? I looked in the "normal" locations under the seat and on top of the gas tank but found nothing. Any ideas?

Yeah its just a normal pioneer with a long box. It only has 4 leafs. Where did they hide the build sheets on these things? I looked in the "normal" locations under the seat and on top of the gas tank but found nothing. Any ideas?

Some are behind the door panels...

:thumbsup:

Rob L.

Hi everyone! I am new here, been looking for an Comanche for a long time. Finally found a rusted hulk for $200.

You werent kidding is the frame solid? I would make sure its not too far gone before doing too much to it.

The frame only has one real small spot that rusted through. It's probably the size of a popcan around. Other than that, the frame is good. Iowa winters are very harsh to vehicles, especially ones that get neglected. The box is the worst part on the truck. I don't think I have seen one of these around here that didn't have most of the box sides gone. Actually the bed has a liner in it and if you lift it up ,the floor of the bed looks brand new.