Gauge Cluster Question

I am in the middle of upgrading my gauges. When I removed the cluster from the dash and tried to disconnect the speedometer cable, I was not able to figure out how the cable gets disconnected. This connector does not seem to look like other postings. Does anyone have any ideas?

Image Not Found

You have to squeeze the 2 little "fingers" in and then the white piece slides off of the speedo. To re-connect, just push the piece back onto the speedo.

Thanks but in this case, those are not fingers. After I examined it more closely, that is all one solid piece even though it has notches toward the opening that make it look like fingers. I am considering prying but I really don't like the thought of prying 22 year old plastic...

Like Ren says, squeeze. Try one spot, if no go, rotate 90°. Better than prying. I think the plastic parts has internal flats which allow deformation and it elongates allowing it to fall off. The side without the ribs would be my quess for the best place to squeeze.

I had a similar experience when pulling a gauge cluster at the junk yard to check it out. I couldn't get it out far enough to see behind it so I just ended up cutting the cable. while this does not help the OP I was thinking is there any way to gather together the different spedo inputs and cables just as a reference and maybe a quick description on how to remove it? if we could get people to take pics of their extra clusters or when the do a swap snap a pic.

sorry to hijack. but it does sound familiar to squeeze the plastic pieces to get it to release.

Well, I squeezed the connector and pulled but that didnt work. Finally, I squeezed the connector, pryed with a screwdriver, and prayed (in that order). It popped right off.

I also delt with the speedometer cable . I unscrewed it from the transmission and pushed it. That gave me enough slack to feed into the firewall and pull the cluster away from the dash so I had room to work. That would be difficult in a junkyard if the tires are off and it is sitting on the ground.

Interestingly, my speedometer cable was only hand tight.

I unscrewed it from the transmission and pushed it. That gave me enough slack to feed into the firewall and pull the cluster away from the dash so I had room to work. That would be difficult in a junkyard if the tires are off and it is sitting on the ground.

Interestingly, my speedometer cable was only hand tight.

thats what i had to do was unhook it from the tranny, mine was also only handtight.