92+ cooling swap, need info

I got everything i need to do this, at least i thought until i read this

On the 1992 and newer Cherokee's the fan thermo switch is in the thermostat housing and not in the radiator. Your old radiator had a thermoswitch on the drivers side with a connecter that hooked up to it. When the temperature reached the proper level, the thermo switch would activate and turn on the fan, the harness supplies 12volts to the thermo switch and then 12v out when the switch activates. In 1992 and newer Jeeps the thermoswitch is not in the radiator, it's in the thermostat housing.

So, does that mean by swaping the radiator without doing the thermoswitch thing the fan will never come on automatically? I only have the one fan, and it's not electric. What does it mean for me?

I got everything i need to do this, at least i thought until i read this

On the 1992 and newer Cherokee's the fan thermo switch is in the thermostat housing and not in the radiator. Your old radiator had a thermoswitch on the drivers side with a connecter that hooked up to it. When the temperature reached the proper level, the thermo switch would activate and turn on the fan, the harness supplies 12volts to the thermo switch and then 12v out when the switch activates. In 1992 and newer Jeeps the thermoswitch is not in the radiator, it's in the thermostat housing.

So, does that mean by swaping the radiator without doing the thermoswitch thing the fan will never come on automatically? I only have the one fan, and it's not electric. What does it mean for me?

It means that you will probably have overheating problems even after installing the new radiator, and it means that you will have to install an electric auxiliary fan and figure out a way to control it, since your new radiator won't have a place for the sensor used in your year.

If you can live with manual control, the simplest solution is a relay and a toggle switch.

Temp switch in the radiator? Then what's the temp switch in my 88's lower radiator hose? :hmm:

definately not stock...just got done evaluating needs for my new 3-core,

my 89 has a plug in the rad just above the lower hose with wires coming out of it.

Temp switch in the radiator? Then what's the temp switch in my 88's lower radiator hose? :hmm:

thats the bastard stepchild switch ;) Some early setups where in the lower rad hose and some where in the rad itself.

With a good new cooling system the jeep should not overheat. I run the cooling fan all the time just to be safe . All you have to do is cut and jump the switch leads together and wala perma fan :D you can run a switch to it if you like , I try and stay outta deep water so I left mine straight wired.

the temp switch only affects the aux elec fan, correct? So the mechanical fan (or whatever) that runs off of the belt is still gonna work like it always did?

Yup the mechanical fan is not affected by the electric fan sw at all.

The elec fan is only supposed to come on at two times , 1st is controlled by the ECU it turns the fan on at temps above 210 to help out with cooling ( me thinks) and second whenever the A/C is on .

but if you run it all the time most MJ's will run right at the themostat rated temp.

Another question that sorta relates to this whole thing. There's two things i can't find out where they go. They both come out of the wiring near the last (closest to firewall) injector. I got the 2 prong plugged in, but there's also a 3-prong one there too. Also beside it is what looks like the temp gauge sender but it doesn't fit snug onto it, it's kinda loose. Can anyone identify these two?

A picture's worth a thousand words... :brows:

Yeah, found it in a pinch. The one was definatly the temp sender. I couldn't find the other, but it wouldn't start with out it so i went all around the engine bay until i found 2 3-prongs, and on first try got them right and it started.

The exhaust manifold was smoking at first (just burning stuff of i guess) but now it runs all good.

One thing though, when I accelerate there's a click that speed's up and slow's down with the rpm's. Any ideas, anything i should worry about? You can hear it if nothing else is going on, radio and talking drowns it out.

One thing though, when I accelerate there's a click that speed's up and slow's down with the rpm's. Any ideas, anything i should worry about? You can hear it if nothing else is going on, radio and talking drowns it out.

i have that same click... funny how i also have a pukegoat ;)

i think thats what mine is at least.